cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does discover spook easily?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Re: Does discover spook easily?

Oh, haha...hey Mommy Smiley Tongue

"My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home"

Personal Credit: Synovus Tloc/Venture/Savor/Chrome gas&restaurant/Chrome Cashback/GoodSamsVisa/CareCredit/Lowes/HomeDepot
Business Credit: AmazonNet55/LowesPro/Staples/Spark
Inquiries: 8EXP, 4TU, 5EQ (most fall off by Nov 2021)
Scores: EXP714, TU737, EQ735
Message 11 of 17
Senior Contributor

As the others have said, use it a lot, pay much more than minimum - and you are the Disco King/Queen. Need to watch single card utilization for a good FICO, but Discover doesn't care about that.

Message 12 of 17
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No, you are good to go. If you have double cash back offer, use it the most you can. Your limit is irrelevant when earning double cash backSmiley Wink
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
Message 13 of 17
Regular Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:
$450 out of a $500 limit is pretty high. I wouldn’t let that balance REPORT. But if you can pay it down before it reports, that would be fine.

Either way, I don’t THINK Disco would panic about it as long as you pay consistently.

I have run into a small issue with my Discover secured, which I too am using quite heavily for the double cash back bonus at the end of the year. I increased my CL from $400 to $700 last month. I've been paying in full multiple times a month and running about $1k to $2k a month trhough the card. They decided to place an 8 day payment hold on my account for the first payment I made with the new, higher limit. It actually occured on 12/23 and I called them totally pissed off. I had never missed a payment, had areturned payment, and the card is secured too. They actually called to verify that it cleared my bank with me on the phone and removed the hold. But you may run into a payment hold if you do whatever it is that triggered it. The lady on the phone told me it is completely automated when they decide to place on of these on your payment. As always, YMMV. 

Discover It $2k // Target Red Card - $700 // Synchrony Home - $2,500 // Merrick $700 // Legacy Visa $750
TU FICO: 658 (2 derogs remaining) EX FICO: 620 (6 derogs remaining) EQ FICO: 610 (6 derogs remaining)
The FCRA and FDCPA are laws, whether the creditors and debt collectors like it or not. Inaccurate information is ILLEGAL and banks ARE NOT REQUIRED to report anything (unless it's a correction to INACCURATE information).
Message 14 of 17
New Contributor

I recently made the mistake of putting a large purchase on my card right before closing. Utilization had to be reported somewhere around 70% of the $1400 limit I had at the time. It was paid down within that next month though.They just gave me an auto CLI, so I guess they weren't spooked.

Message 15 of 17
Super Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:
$450 out of a $500 limit is pretty high. I wouldn’t let that balance REPORT. But if you can pay it down before it reports, that would be fine.

Either way, I don’t THINK Disco would panic about it as long as you pay consistently.

I have run into a small issue with my Discover secured, which I too am using quite heavily for the double cash back bonus at the end of the year. I increased my CL from $400 to $700 last month. I've been paying in full multiple times a month and running about $1k to $2k a month trhough the card. They decided to place an 8 day payment hold on my account for the first payment I made with the new, higher limit. It actually occured on 12/23 and I called them totally pissed off. I had never missed a payment, had areturned payment, and the card is secured too. They actually called to verify that it cleared my bank with me on the phone and removed the hold. But you may run into a payment hold if you do whatever it is that triggered it. The lady on the phone told me it is completely automated when they decide to place on of these on your payment. As always, YMMV. 

This is why you use your bank/credit union’s bill pay service to push payments. Discover gets their money right away without a hold and you don’t run in to purchase restrictions. I wish I would have known about push pay before coming here because awhile Disco has never put me on a hold (none of my cards have), when Disco or NFCU pull payments, they take awhile to post and it makes me nervous. 

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Does it look like I really need any more cards? My goal is to garden until 2/2020.
Message 16 of 17
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Discover may hold the payment if it's been 3 days or less between them

Also, you're recycling your SL multiple times throughout the month. They are just making sure you actually have funds to cover it. It's happened to me when my card had lower limit. 

EX 754 EQ 774 TU 752

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.