cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does everybody start with low limit cards?

tag
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

Does everybody start with low limit cards?

Hello all!.....and WAR EAGLE!

My question is this.  Did everybody here start with low limit cards and build up to the larger limit(ie$1,000+) cards, or did you just start getting the higher limit cards from the start?  You can see my cards listed at the bottom of this post.  The highest limit on these cards are the victoria's secret($500) and Total Rewards Visa($500).  The other cards vary from $300-$400 limits.  I know that PIF each month is key to CLI's. Does salary come into play with the limits issued, upon opening accts?  I recently got an offer from First Premier Bank(Smiley Sad) with a preapproved limit of $700, and I actually considered it becuase of the limit, itself. I hear that the cc companies look at your current limits and base their decision off of your current limits, or somewhere close(is that right?).  I did not take the offer, but should I? I have recieved some excellent advice from my friends here(creditaddictSmiley Wink) as to call credit solutions and my various other creditors and simply ask for the increases....which im still patiently waiting to do(i wanna get myself to a better place before i do). So did you guys have to work for those limits-or-did they come easy?

Thanks for y'alls time!!

AUBURN

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Does everybody start with low limit cards?

I think everyone starts low, I know I did, I still want to get that Total Rewards card but waiting foir some more Util to drop

whatever you do don't get first premier...have you tried the preapproval link for capital 1?

Message 2 of 54
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Nothing comes 'easy' and we all have to start somewhere. Even if you are 'new to credit' chances are the first cc will have a lower limit. Income and the credit profile are factored into CL's. CLI's, can be based on the particular lenders policy, usage, income and cr profile.

It does not take 4+ credit cards to achieve higher limits. Util , positive credit history and AAOA are key IMO.

Message 3 of 54
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

I started with low-limits. $500 for Freedom, and $700 for BofA Cash Rewards 8 months into my credit history. 9th month Barclays took a chance with me and approved me for $2000. The other cards that I've acquired within the last month, one of the issuers matched my previous highest limit, and the others offered me higher limits. So I believe it's all a matter of how thick or thin of a file you have Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 54
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

No, not everyone started with low limit credit cards. In today's day and age though.. most likely..

I know my first card, about 10 years ago was a Bank of America card. I got a preapproved offer in the mail.. I applied.. $10k limit. I had nothing else on my credit report other than a student loan in deferral...

I know of a younger person though who just got approved for a Bank of America card with a highish starting limit of $3k. He's had an account with them since he was first born. He's only 19 and obviously puts money through his checking account. He had absolutely nothing on his credit report. The banker inside said she's recommend to the analyst that he get it because of the banking relationship for the past two decades. Approved!

This might be rare, but you never know. Banks aren't giving out credit cards like they used to though.

Message 5 of 54
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Walmart started me off with $100 CL! Smiley Mad   And this was back in '05.  I guess it was a lot back then?  Can't buy crap for a hundred bucks these days. lol

Message 6 of 54
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@eddie84 wrote:

Walmart started me off with $100 CL! Smiley Mad   And this was back in '05.  I guess it was a lot back then?  Can't buy crap for a hundred bucks these days. lol

LOL Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 54
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Admittedly, I started late to the credit card game (23) so my income was already rather matured ($60k+) when I applied for my Capital One card last June. I received a $3,000 limit and everything has gone up from there.

But I would generally say I am the exception rather than the rule, and if I had applied while in college the chances of getting that limit would have been significantly reduced. In fact, the chances of getting approved would have been significantly reduced.

But in all honesty, the only thing more valuable than time in receiving a high credit limit is a significant income. It's not a wealth thing, it's a cash flow thing. People who make more money can pay off higher balances quicker.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 54
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@SnackTrader

My first big girl cc was a BoA Student Visa-they were all over Westwood Campus. My CL was $800 and I thought I won the lottery!
Message 9 of 54
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

One of my close friend started off with 30000 CL with Citi Dividend Card right out of grad school. He only had one other card from BofA for 900$. I know it's hard to believe but true... I made him show his online account just to verify he isn't bluffing lol

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.