cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

@Pat94108 wrote:

I agree that it depends on the bank. I think it helps a lot with Chase from what I read on this board, but I also think BoFA likes that as well, based on an experience with them from a few years ago. 

Right, we have statements from Chase insiders that it helps if the balance is substantial, but even the big balances won't overcome real baddies (so it helps in borderline cases only)     Chase is integrated (e.g. if they have concerns with your banking, they usually close your credit cards too).

In other institutions the credit card and banking divisions are more separate, and there is no way of telling.   For every story here that "I got a card from Bank X because of my account with them" we have lots of people with Bank X cards who have no banking relationship.

IMO, unless there is no effort or financial loss involved, changing banks to maybe get a better credit card deal isn't worth it: it might not work, and even if it does: what happens when you want to move it again to the next issuer?  If having it helps, maybe removing it will hurt!

Message 11 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Does having a checking account on the same bank will improve your chaces to get a card?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Pat94108 wrote:

I agree that it depends on the bank. I think it helps a lot with Chase from what I read on this board, but I also think BoFA likes that as well, based on an experience with them from a few years ago. 

Right, we have statements from Chase insiders that it helps if the balance is substantial, but even the big balances won't overcome real baddies (so it helps in borderline cases only)     Chase is integrated (e.g. if they have concerns with your banking, they usually close your credit cards too).

In other institutions the credit card and banking divisions are more separate, and there is no way of telling.   For every story here that "I got a card from Bank X because of my account with them" we have lots of people with Bank X cards who have no banking relationship.

IMO, unless there is no effort or financial loss involved, changing banks to maybe get a better credit card deal isn't worth it: it might not work, and even if it does: what happens when you want to move it again to the next issuer?  If having it helps, maybe removing it will hurt!

+1

though in my Recon with Bank of America the guy asked me if i have had any prior relationship with Bank of America before.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 12 of 20
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

My scores were not good when i got my Freedom. The only reason i got approved was because i had a checking n savings account with Chase for a long time. So, it definitely counts.

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

dollar_bill - well put! Great answer and observations.
Message 14 of 20
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@AzaleaB wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

It depends. If you actually use the account and run a substantial amount then yes, it will.

I was able to get my BoA card from $2k to $20k in 5 months because of my banking relationship of 8 years with 4 accounts.

Were these auto-CLIs? I have a 6 year history with BoA with 3 accounts and keep over over 30k in my accounts at any one time. I have a BoA 321 Visa siggy at $7500 for 6 months and no auto- CLI.

It cost me 1 HP and 1 SP

Message 15 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Chaselover wrote:
My scores were not good when i got my Freedom. The only reason i got approved was because i had a checking n savings account with Chase for a long time. So, it definitely counts.

Were you told that?  Because people get Freedom with pretty low scores anyway (just not great CL or APR)

Message 16 of 20
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Think it made a difference in my Wells Fargo approval. I had previously had an account with them before I even became an adult and it was a joint account with my older sibling but I think there was an 80 dollar charge off somehow (though never showed up on my CR thankfully) and paid that off later to start my own account. Got denied a few times for their college card until many months later and having lots of positive history with the checking account. I just reconned and was approved not too long after.

I have a checking account with chase that I hardly ever use so I don't think it was that big of a factor in getting my card with them but was nice to be able to see the account before they called me to tell me I was approved.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It definitely helped when I got bank of america. They asked me if I had any boa accounts and I told them I had checking and savings. Got approved with a mediocre score at the time for 5k. I think it helps in certain situations but may not be a guarantee in all situations. 

Message 18 of 20
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

When I had a mediocre score and app'ed for a BoA Visa with over 30K in three accounts, they only offered me a preapproval for a secured card - I already had a Cap1. BUT I never reconned or spoke to anyone - I just assumed that they knew about my accounts. Every time I went to the bank, they kept asking if I wanted a credit card but I said no because I thought I would just get the secured card. Barclays gave me a card and I really should have talked to BoA as another poster said. BoA did eventually give me a Visa siggy but my scores were pretty good by then and I had other accts. So maybe they do value the relationship if you speak up.

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 19 of 20
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Chaselover wrote:

Were you told that?  Because people get Freedom with pretty low scores anyway (just not great CL or APR)

I had 0 credit history when i applied. But during recon, the lady told me that its because i hav a checking n savings account with a good amount from around 2 years that she is approving me. CS in approval letter read 607.

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.