cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having one low limit card vs your others weigh down your profile?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does having one low limit card vs your others weigh down your profile?

When it comes to getting good limits with new approvals, etc.  I know the whole profile is the equation, but how big of a factor is something like this?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Does having one low limit card vs your others weigh down your profile?

Not in general. Your overall profile and income determines your SL's. As your history with your cards improve and you build bigger CL's you may get larger SL's because of your demonstrated responsibility. It is possible to score good limits and that depends on what you consider good limits with a history of only small limits but in general you have to work your way up to large limits.
Message 2 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Not at all. It depends on your overall profile.

I have a $1,500 Freedom card, a $1k Diamond Preferred, a $500 PenFed card, and a $500 SDFCU card.

Since May 2015 with all those four in my profile, I got the $30k Venture, EDP at $15k, AK Air at $17k, 2 Citi AA cards, and Citi Hilton with $13k, and a $16k PenFed card. The smaller limit cards are a good way to show responsible use, and usually will result in a larger next card, provided your profile supports the higher CL.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When it comes to getting good limits with new approvals, etc.  I know the whole profile is the equation, but how big of a factor is something like this?

not at all, i have a $200 target card, and a $750 CapitalOne Quicksilver card,  yet still have gotten approvals of 10k, 15k and 20k. 

its your over all profile and income that makes that impacts the most. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 13
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

I don't think lower limits hold you down.  However, I DO believe that higher limits beget higher limits Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I tend to think the same thing. The higher limits can cause the other lenders fo react at times because essentially they want you to use them and your money.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the listed reasons on a recent app denial I had stated my credit report showed I had low credit limits. My current highest limit is 25k (AU) and personal is 5k. I'm rebuilding and half my cards are 1k or lower. The other half range from 1.5- 5k, than the AU card. I'm sure if it was only 1 or 2 it wouldn't have been a reason but apparently having multiple low limit cards can indeed hurt.

Message 7 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, not in the way you're thinking.  Creditors do not simply match limits.  Limits factor into Revovling Utilization.  Revolving Utilizatino factors into Amounts Owed.  Amounts Owed is just one FICO scoring factor.
http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

FICO scoring is just one consideration for creditors that use a FICO score.  Your credit profile and income are the priamry considerations in determining the limit that you qualify for.  The limit on one card does play a part in all this but you're putting far too much weight on the on the one limit itself when there are many factors at play.

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

However, I DO believe that higher limits beget higher limits

Don't rely on that meme.  Getting a high limit doesn't mean that all subsequent limits will be high.  Again, it's profile and income at time of consideration that matter.  I've had $30K & $25K cards and have received several new cards that started out with $5K limits because of new accounts on my profile.  As those new accounts and my credit seeking activity aged those cards grew but you can't rely solely on limits of existing cards to determine the limit that you'd qualify for on a new card.  Again, limits on your cards are just one consideration among many others.  Don't focus on one while ignoring all the rest.

@RM21 wrote:
I tend to think the same thing. The higher limits can cause the other lenders fo react at times because essentially they want you to use them and your money.

Also another flawed meme.

It's all about risk assessment for creditors.  They assess what they think as one's risk of default based on review of one's profile.  It's not just about limits.  It's not just about creditors wanting customers to use their cards.  A creditor that just abritrarily extends credit will not remain in business for long.

Message 8 of 13
wmweeza
Established Contributor

If it did  I would have dumped my Target card long ago

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, not true.  I have 44k Venture and just got a Nordstrom's with a 1k limit which is just after I got a 25k limit with Lowe's.  It's because I app'd for a few cards at once so they will start it low until you can prove them wrong.  Just think about what you can turn that limit into.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.