cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it hurt to have a balance on a closed card? Does owing $1,000 on a $0 limit closed card hurt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it hurt to have a balance on a closed card? Does owing $1,000 on a $0 limit closed card hurt?

Nothing negative, no lates...

Sync closed all my accounts as I mentioned in other post.

How does that affect me with respect to the $5,500 I owe on closed accounts?

Does it hurt me to owe $1,200 out of what was a $4,800 limit because now it must show closed with balance of $1,200 on a $0 limit card.

MyFico has not sent me alerts I found out when my Amazon purchase of $38 was denied.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Does it hurt to have a balance on a closed card? Does owing $1,000 on a $0 limit closed card hu

Yes. Just like you said, it is no longer $1200 on a $4800 limit; it is now $1200 on a $0 limit, hence it is maxed out (by a lot) and therefore affecting utilization and dragging your scores down.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does it hurt to have a balance on a closed card? Does owing $1,000 on a $0 limit closed card hu

It will only hurt if Synchrony reports the closed card with a $0 limit. If they continue to report the original limit, your utilization will stay the same until you pay it off. 

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony appears to report the original limit on the closed account. 

6BDA98CB-835A-41D3-A5F5-51643558DAB0.jpeg

Message 4 of 36
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  it wont hurt

It's a myth that refuses to die. 

Most accounts that were closed (without being charged off) will report limit and balance. 

In fact, some people will close cards when lender announces future changes (such as APR increase) to preserve terms. 

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience has been no, my BB&T closed with a 4055 balance of a 4500 SL and that the SL is what reports each month. 

2020-07-30 10_44_01-Window.png

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to all that have responded.

I feel better now.

Would have been really bad if it was the other way around.

Message 7 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nothing negative, no lates...

Sync closed all my accounts as I mentioned in other post.

How does that affect me with respect to the $5,500 I owe on closed accounts?

Does it hurt me to owe $1,200 out of what was a $4,800 limit because now it must show closed with balance of $1,200 on a $0 limit card.

MyFico has not sent me alerts I found out when my Amazon purchase of $38 was denied.

Some lenders will leave the limit where it was, in terms of reporting, some put in a lower limit.   So it's definitely safer to get rid of them if you can.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It will only hurt if Synchrony reports the closed card with a $0 limit. If they continue to report the original limit, your utilization will stay the same until you pay it off. 

Actually the utilization would not stay the same, because the card's limit has been removed from available credit limits.

Message 9 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous  it wont hurt

It's a myth that refuses to die. 

Most accounts that were closed (without being charged off) will report limit and balance. 

In fact, some people will close cards when lender announces future changes (such as APR increase) to preserve terms. 

Even when the lender does report the correct limit, it still hurts, because the balance is still there in the numerator, but the credit limit has now disappeared from the denominator, in computing aggregate utilization percentage.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.