Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

tag
BearOSO
Contributor

Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

I currently have a USAA Sec CC with a $5000 limit. It will mature this month and I am going to close it and receive my moneys. I have been approved for the unsecured CC with a CL of 5500. Aside from utilization, how will removing the Secured CC affect my report? Will the sudden drop of $5000 or the closing of a two year account with perfect payment history, affect my score/report negatively? If so, how bad?

I am officially off to the garden for a year as I think I have acheived what I needed to and will pursue my "wants" in 2014. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

@BearOSO wrote:

I currently have a USAA Sec CC with a $5000 limit. It will mature this month and I am going to close it and receive my moneys. I have been approved for the unsecured CC with a CL of 5500. Aside from utilization, how will removing the Secured CC affect my report? Will the sudden drop of $5000 or the closing of a two year account with perfect payment history, affect my score/report negatively? If so, how bad?

I am officially off to the garden for a year as I think I have acheived what I needed to and will pursue my "wants" in 2014. 

There is nothing negative about closing an account other than utilization, unless they are your only CCs.   I would not close unless I had at least 3 open CC left.  

Message 2 of 3
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Does it look bad to close a secured CC with high CL/Deposit

besides utilization, it wont hurt your reports. 

any account closed in good standing still reports good for 10 years. 

please refer to this link 

Click ME

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.