cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

tag
CaliCreditNoob
Established Member

Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

 

I don't use plastiq too often, but have had great success in the past of it worked. Like I literally paid rent to my landlord by spending on plastiq with my discover It card, then they sent a paper check to my landlord and it all worked.

 

So far I have never used a strong credit card sign up bonus, like 0% apr for 21 months of like spend $500 get a $200 statement credit.

 

Has anyone had success with this? Just random sub cards like Chase Freedom or BofA Rewards or Citibank double cash? etc

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

I believe you can't do it with Chase anymore because Chase will consider this kind of transactions as Cash Advance....

Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

I use plastic to pay rent with American Express, no issues.

Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?


@CaliCreditNoob wrote:

Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

 

I don't use plastiq too often, but have had great success in the past of it worked. Like I literally paid rent to my landlord by spending on plastiq with my discover It card, then they sent a paper check to my landlord and it all worked.

 

So far I have never used a strong credit card sign up bonus, like 0% apr for 21 months of like spend $500 get a $200 statement credit.

 

Has anyone had success with this? Just random sub cards like Chase Freedom or BofA Rewards or Citibank double cash? etc


How would this trigger a 0% apr card? Thats not a bonus or sub but a promo one earns through applying  for a specific card.  

Message 4 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?


@Anonymous wrote:

I believe you can't do it with Chase anymore because Chase will consider this kind of transactions as Cash Advance....


I'm curious to know more about this. I was going to use Plastiq to pay rent to hit the SUB on my United Explorer card. The new "rules" come into effect on 4/15/2021 which will only allow me to hit a portion of the 70k mile SUB without changing my spend.







  |  
Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?


@MyFault wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe you can't do it with Chase anymore because Chase will consider this kind of transactions as Cash Advance....


I'm curious to know more about this. I was going to use Plastiq to pay rent to hit the SUB on my United Explorer card. The new "rules" come into effect on 4/15/2021 which will only allow me to hit a portion of the 70k mile SUB without changing my spend.


Two links/resources below that can provide more guidance on this @MyFault:

 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PSA-Plastiq-and-Visa/m-p/5509102

 

https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005215254-Visa-Personal-Card-Changes

Message 6 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?


@FinStar wrote:

@MyFault wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe you can't do it with Chase anymore because Chase will consider this kind of transactions as Cash Advance....


I'm curious to know more about this. I was going to use Plastiq to pay rent to hit the SUB on my United Explorer card. The new "rules" come into effect on 4/15/2021 which will only allow me to hit a portion of the 70k mile SUB without changing my spend.


Two links/resources below that can provide more guidance on this @MyFault:

 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PSA-Plastiq-and-Visa/m-p/5509102

 

https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005215254-Visa-Personal-Card-Changes


Thanks for the info!

 

The plastiq page says it should still work fine.

The thread you posted is from 2019, which has nothing to do with the new rules on 4/15/2021. I used plastiq on my Marriott Boundless and CSP when I got it to hit the SUB, without issue. I've also lowered my cash advance limit to $100 on all Chase cards, which is the lowest possible, to avoid problems. I guess I'll try to make the payment with plastiq after the rules change and see if it's declined.

 

I hope it isn't, and will still work. I understand sending venmo payments, buying stocks, or cryptocurrency, etc. But paying my landlord rent, isn't cash advance. And I'd like to be able to take advantage of it, one last time before I'm back in a mortgage in a few months.







  |  
Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?


@MyFault wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@MyFault wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe you can't do it with Chase anymore because Chase will consider this kind of transactions as Cash Advance....


I'm curious to know more about this. I was going to use Plastiq to pay rent to hit the SUB on my United Explorer card. The new "rules" come into effect on 4/15/2021 which will only allow me to hit a portion of the 70k mile SUB without changing my spend.


Two links/resources below that can provide more guidance on this @MyFault:

 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PSA-Plastiq-and-Visa/m-p/5509102

 

https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005215254-Visa-Personal-Card-Changes


Thanks for the info!

 

The plastiq page says it should still work fine.

The thread you posted is from 2019, which has nothing to do with the new rules on 4/15/2021. I used plastiq on my Marriott Boundless and CSP when I got it to hit the SUB, without issue. I've also lowered my cash advance limit to $100 on all Chase cards, which is the lowest possible, to avoid problems. I guess I'll try to make the payment with plastiq after the rules change and see if it's declined.

 

I hope it isn't, and will still work. I understand sending venmo payments, buying stocks, or cryptocurrency, etc. But paying my landlord rent, isn't cash advance. And I'd like to be able to take advantage of it, one last time before I'm back in a mortgage in a few months.


The links were primarily for reference in regard to using Visa and Chase in general since a variety of folks have reported some transactions coding as CAs using Plastiq.

 

As far as Chase's Change In Terms that will take effect come April, Plastiq would likely code as CA based on the interpretation of the changes, but we won't know for sure until folks report back during that timeframe.  So, if the transaction gets declined that'll be your answer.

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?


@MyFault wrote:

 

I hope it isn't, and will still work. I understand sending venmo payments, buying stocks, or cryptocurrency, etc. But paying my landlord rent, isn't cash advance. And I'd like to be able to take advantage of it, one last time before I'm back in a mortgage in a few months.


Well, it is if the issuer thinks it is!  The new rules seem to require that the transaction takes place directly with the merchant (or their servicer).  Possibly, their reasoning is that in other situations, where you cannot use your card with a supplier, you COULD take a cash advance, buy a money order  with the funds, and send it to the merchant, so you are depriving them of cash advance fees!   So while they get standard swipe fees from Plastiq, it's nothing compared to what they would get with a Cash Advance.  (Even if that is precisely the reason you would never do a CA....)

Message 9 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Does paying my rent with Plastiq, will it trigger 0% apr card bonuses and SUB bonus?

You could definitely hit spend requirements for SUBs depending on the card. Some will consider that a cash advance. Discover does not, as I've used my Disco on Plastiq successfully. 
Another thing to keep in mind is the fees Plastiq may charge. Make sure the fees don't cancel out the potential benefits!

 

Good luck!!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 6.5k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.