cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does rent payment count as a utility payment for 2x cash back with Barclays Rewards card?

tag
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Does rent payment count as a utility payment for 2x cash back with Barclays Rewards card?

I was thinking of using my new barclays rewards card to pay my rent. If they will give me 2x on that I will be able to cover the fee and then some. I want to run a good amount of $ through it, so I thought this would be a viable option. 

Does anybody know if paying rent with the card count as a utility payment for 2x?

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does rent payment count as a utility payment for 2x cash back with Barclays Rewards card?

It never did when I had this card. It was coded as real estate or something to that effect.
Message 2 of 16
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Does rent payment count as a utility payment for 2x cash back with Barclays Rewards card?

No. Rent is not a utility. most places wont even accept a credit card for rent. most are . Lights, Water, Telephone, Cable, Internet possibly, Gas, Residential, heat, oil, electricity which is part of lights. only so many. and that covers most of them.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to make sure that you can even pay rent on a CC. I have heard in this forum where people have done a rent payment and the property rental company runs the transaction as a cash advance - which would be much more costly transaction to complete.

Message 4 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

You may want to make sure that you can even pay rent on a CC. I have heard in this forum where people have done a rent payment and the property rental company runs the transaction as a cash advance - which would be much more costly transaction to complete.

Most lenders will allow you to set your cash advance limit to $0; I do this with any card I play any sort of games with.

        
Message 5 of 16
toi34
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

No. Rent is not a utility. most places wont even accept a credit card for rent. most are . Lights, Water, Telephone, Cable, Internet possibly, Gas, Residential, heat, oil, electricity which is part of lights. only so many. and that covers most of them.

Does anyone know if paying your vehicle registration through the DMV website would be coded as a utility?

Message 6 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@toi34 wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Does anyone know if paying your vehicle registration through the DMV website would be coded as a utility?

Utterly doubtful but it would depend on your individual state.

CA service came back as:

Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction

According to Chase (wound up having an awkward registration date with my mortgage so tossed it on the Freedom for the favorable payment post statement to rezero the reported balance).

        
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@toi34 wrote:

I can't see how vehicle registration would in any way be coded as a utility.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Most lenders will allow you to set your cash advance limit to $0; I do this with any card I play any sort of games with.

\

Revelate, that is very helpful to know; I had no idea. Thank you!

Message 9 of 16
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, my community allows credit card payments. They have been promoting it a lot. Actually, just this month they started a program where if you use your credit card to pay the rent, they will report your rent payment in good standing with TransUnion. I was trying to figure out if it made sense to do this because I believe the fee is $25. If I can use Barclays, the points will cover the fee. If I use my Quicksilver, I will be about $5 short. I'm tempted to do it, but just wanted to check on here. Doesn't seem like Barclays will recognize it. Thanks everyone.

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.