cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the AMEX (vanilla) Blue accrue MR points or MRE points?

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Does the AMEX (vanilla) Blue accrue MR points or MRE points?

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough but I was under the impression that the (vanilla) Blue card (not the BCE or BCP) accrues regular MR points.  However, on some sites I've seen that the card actually accrues MRE points.

Which is it?  I'm starting to think I should have just gone for the BCE, but I was worried about even getting accepted so I went with what I thought would get the easiest approval.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Does the AMEX (vanilla) Blue accrue MR points or MRE points?

the generic blue earns MRE's.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 8
andre181
Established Contributor

MRE but if you have another card that gets MR points, then your Blue will earn MR points. At least that's how it worked with my Blue and PRG.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 8
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks.

I was approved for both a Zync and a (regular) Blue.  I guess I'll hold onto these cards for a year and switch to a BCE when I'm allowed to.

Message 4 of 8
tacaza
Valued Member

I was able to PC my Blue to BCE at the 3 months mark by sending Amex a secure message. It's weird that all the CSRs that I was on the phone with told me that PC only possible after 1 year. You might want to message them.
Message 5 of 8
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

Ok, thanks.

I was approved for both a Zync and a (regular) Blue.  I guess I'll hold onto these cards for a year and switch to a BCE when I'm allowed to.

You're allowed to PC to a BCE now. You don't have to wait a year to go from one fee-free card to another.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@charyot77 wrote:

Ok, thanks.

You can PC from Blue to BCE whenever, I did it after about a month.  Be aware though, that while the Blue only earns MRE points, you can stockpile them for awhile and then apply for a Green or better and all your points will be transformed into regular MR points.

Message 7 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

If you have a BCE and a Blue Sky, can you merge one into the other to get a larger credit line?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.