cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Amex blue cash everyday 3% gas station category include snacks purchased at gas stations?

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Does the Amex blue cash everyday 3% gas station category include snacks purchased at gas stations?

Or does it only cover the purchase of gas itself?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Does the Amex blue cash everyday 3% gas station category include snacks purchased at gas station

I would assume both.

Of course, you are paying 300% mark up to get 3%.

LOL.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 13
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does the Amex blue cash everyday 3% gas station category include snacks purchased at gas station

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I would assume both.

Of course, you are paying 300% mark up to get 3%.

LOL.

Sometimes when I'm on road trips I pick up snacks at gas stations if there aren't any grocery stores open nearby.

Message 3 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

For the majority of gas stations, yes. Though, keep in mind that's not universal since there are times when purchasing items inside at certain locations may not code correctly depending upon how a specific establishment is set up vs...say filling your tank at the pump.

Message 4 of 13
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

While ymmv, I've seen most of my inside purchases, including built in car washes bought inside, snacks, wiper fluid, etc, count as a gas station expenses when there is no separate store branding. At a local 76 gas station, for example, the inside store is a 7-Eleven, so food purchases count as 7-Eleven, but auto supply stuff like engine oil still codes as gas station. Conversely, one of our busy Chevrons has the full car wash and store, and everything counts as a Chevron purchase.

Message 5 of 13
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

7-11's from my experience have always coded gas.

I spend more on snacks at the gas station than I do gas.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 6 of 13
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

Yes. As long as the convenience store codes the transaction as a gas station (which a majority of them do), you'll get 3 percent back. 

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 7 of 13
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Also 7-11 usually code as gas station 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, a few cards (some of the Penfed ones) only reward with the MCC5422, Automated Fuel Dispenser, in which case only purchases at the pump count.   But BCE covers "gas" which, subject to the caveats mentioned by others, should cover a lot of purchases at the gas station

Message 9 of 13
mgood
Valued Contributor

I drive a truck and it's not usually convenient to get to a grocery store or Walmart or anything like. I easily spend $500 per month, every month, in "gas stations" not even including fuel purchases. I'm in convenience stores like 7-11 every day, or truck stops like Pilot, T/A, Flying J, etc. Most of these places, if they sell gas, it codes as "gas station." If Discover or Chase has gas stations as a 5% category that quarter, I max out the $1500 cap on things I buy inside the store. If they don't, I max the $500 monthly cap on my Citi Custom Cash.

@rgd51 wrote:

Anyway, this is something I use a lot, and in my experience nearly every place that sells gas, everything they sell there codes as "gas stations." If it's just the store, without gas pumps, they tend to code as "groceries" around here. I don't have the BCE, but I have looked at it closely. I'm 99.95% sure that it will pay the "gas station" rewards on snacks and anything else you buy in the store.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, a few cards (some of the Penfed ones) only reward with the MCC5422, Automated Fuel Dispenser, in which case only purchases at the pump count.

The PenFed Platinum is 5x back on gas, paid at the pump. I use that for most of the actual gas purchases for my personal vehicles. I max the 5% category on whatever card I'm using for "gas stations" that month on in-store purchases and put my gas on the PenFed Platinum.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 24
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.