Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Amex green card count as a new product

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Does the Amex green card count as a new product

After the changes to the amex green card is it being counted as a new product for purposes of the SUB? I had the green card in the past and am wondering if I can get the SUB again since they changed it. Also, does anyone here have CLEAR and is it worthwhile for people who already have GE/Precheck?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Does the Amex green card count as a new product

@red259 wrote:

After the changes to the amex green card is it being counted as a new product for purposes of the SUB? I had the green card in the past and am wondering if I can get the SUB again since they changed it. Also, does anyone here have CLEAR and is it worthwhile for people who already have GE/Precheck?

It's considered the same product.

I have Clear and TSA Precheck. It's very nice being able to not only jump to the front of the security line but also practically walk right through the checkpoint itself. It's a huge time saver. Clear may be worth the price if you do a lot of domestic travel and pass through the airports where its offered. 

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It is still considered the same product. You won’t be able to get a SUB.
Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

Do you know that for sure?  I mean the OP hasn't applied or indicated a pop-up displayed on screen.  Often times, and based on reported DPs, it also depends how long ago the individual canceled the card.   I had the Gold card many moons ago and I was able to get the SUB last year.  So, before we quote absolutes, let's be certain of the outcomes. 

Unless the OP receives or becomes aware of an offer that has no lifetime restriction, similar to those that have circulated or been targeted in the past for the same card, then it's potentially doable.  Folks have reported success via that route. 

And, regardless of the current state of the clawbacks, these offers so far have stuck.  Of course, as with anything, everyone's outcome will definitely vary. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're still an Amex member, it should be a SP for the app thoiugh. YMMV 

So no harm in trying right? If the card is someting your genuinely serious about. And if you're ineligible the pop up should tell you.

Message 5 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Do you know that for sure?  I mean the OP hasn't applied or indicated a pop-up displayed on screen.  Often times, and based on reported DPs, it also depends how long ago the individual canceled the card.   I had the Gold card many moons ago and I was able to get the SUB last year.  So, before we quote absolutes, let's be certain of the outcomes. 

Unless the OP receives or becomes aware of an offer that has no lifetime restriction, similar to those that have circulated or been targeted in the past for the same card, then it's potentially doable.  Folks have reported success via that route. 

And, regardless of the current state of the clawbacks, these offers so far have stuck.  Of course, as with anything, everyone's outcome will definitely vary. 

Fin, just to expand on this did you have the regular Gold Card previously?  The current Gold Card is just the Premier Rewards Gold Card renamed, with the former one being renamed The Classic Gold Card and no longer available for new applications.  Previously you could get a Welcome Offer on a PRG (which is today's Gold Card) if you had the Gold Card with slightly lower AF as they were considered different products.

Certainly if it has been quite a while since you first acquired a card, the offer may be still valid.  I do not get a popup warning about being ineligible for the Welcome Offer on the revamped Green Card, even though I have had the card before (as recently as 4 years ago prior to upgrading it to Platinum).  It was originally The American Express Card, which I later upgraded to The American Express Card Now With Membership Rewards, which eventually just became the Green Card we've known for a number of years.

I bit the bullet today and decided to go ahead and grab Clear at the discounted Delta Silver/Gold/Platinum Medallion rate.  Even though I usually just breeze right through the non-existent PreCheck line at most places, I did have a recent experience at one airport where I almost signed up on the spot.  In that case, many people were signing up on the spot due to the extremely long PreCheck line and going straight to the conveyor belts.  If you do go for it, at least sign up for a free SkyMiles account as even regular members get a huge discount.

Message 6 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

No matter what, with Amex it's pretty painless to fill out the app and see if you get the popup. Instead of speculating, you can just check to see if you're eligible or not pretty easily.

Message 7 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Also typically once in a lifetime with AMEX is known as 7 years..  Pop-up will also save you if this isn't the case or you will get the pop-up as well if RAT team dislikes what cologne you are wearing today.

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Fin, just to expand on this did you have the regular Gold Card previously?  The current Gold Card is just the Premier Rewards Gold Card renamed, with the former one being renamed The Classic Gold Card and no longer available for new applications.  Previously you could get a Welcome Offer on a PRG (which is today's Gold Card) if you had the Gold Card with slightly lower AF as they were considered different products.

Certainly if it has been quite a while since you first acquired a card, the offer may be still valid.  I do not get a popup warning about being ineligible for the Welcome Offer on the revamped Green Card, even though I have had the card before (as recently as 4 years ago prior to upgrading it to Platinum).  It was originally The American Express Card, which I later upgraded to The American Express Card Now With Membership Rewards, which eventually just became the Green Card we've known for a number of years.

I bit the bullet today and decided to go ahead and grab Clear at the discounted Delta Silver/Gold/Platinum Medallion rate.  Even though I usually just breeze right through the non-existent PreCheck line at most places, I did have a recent experience at one airport where I almost signed up on the spot.  In that case, many people were signing up on the spot due to the extremely long PreCheck line and going straight to the conveyor belts.  If you do go for it, at least sign up for a free SkyMiles account as even regular members get a huge discount.

Hey K, I had both actually.  On the regular one, I downgraded to Senior Gold eons ago (IIRC) before eventually canceling and I also had PRG.  Never had the biz versions though.  When I reapplied, it was for PRG back in July of last year (50K MR SUB).   Then, converted to the current Gold Card a few months after around October.  The other Gold Card that I carry is the Ameriprise version which is no longer available (it had a SUB as well).  I blame @CreditCuriosity for that one too Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.