Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't Amex check its records?

tag
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Doesn't Amex check its records?

I got an Amex Gold & BCP last month.. all is nice and calm for three weeks, and then suddenly, I start getting preapproval notices every three days. From Amex. Asking me to apply for BCP, Blue Sky, the Gold... 

I have no intention of applying, and I don't even know if it's possible to have multiple Amex revolvers (is it?), but I'm curious to know why they really want me to apply for cards I already have! Don't they check their records?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Doesn't Amex check its records?

i think in a way its like that with most major banks. Once you get in with them they know your chances for getting approved for other products they offer are good. Its not a guarantee but see it like if you got approved for one of their cards already, you would have a good chance to get approved for another. Similiar situation with me but with BofA. I use to check their prequalified offers and never had anything come up. Got approved for their Better Balance Rewards card and now this time when i put in my info it told me that i prequalified for all of their cards and it actually told me the APR i would get for each card...LOL. I just got approved for the AMEX green so it should be interesting to see if i get any pre-selected offers come via mail in the next weeks.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 6
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Interesting.. how do you check preapproved offers?

Message 3 of 6
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@RandomCreditDude wrote:

Interesting.. how do you check preapproved offers?

just go the BofA site under credit cards and there should be a box that would say "check for prequalified offers" or somthing similiar.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 4 of 6
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

heh, thanks.

Message 5 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Also remember, the higher the card from Amex, ie from green to gold, gold to platinum, etc. the higher the AF. AF's are okay if you utilize the card enough to get value or rewards to offset the upfront fees. I routinely receive offers for the Platinum, an ugrade from my Gold Revolver. However, I don't travel enough to justify a $ 450.00 AF.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.