cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing the math on the Chase Sapphire Preferred...

tag
bmd0224
New Contributor

Re: Doing the math on the Chase Sapphire Preferred...

FYI - I just opened the Chase Sapphire Preferred today (8/21) and the spend was only $2000 in 3/months. You should call them to have them match.

01/11/13:
EQ Fico: 716 (from myfico)
TU Fico: 719 (from Walmart)
EX Fico: 719 (from myfico)

Chase Sapphire Pref. II AMEX Platinum II Amex PRG II Amex SPG II Citi AAdvantage II Barclays US Airways II Chase Freedom
Message 11 of 23
severine
Contributor

Thanks so much, I will! This seems more doable for meSmiley Happy

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 12 of 23
bmd0224
New Contributor

Yes I agree! I saw the lower spend and thought I could do it. I'm going to use the service williampaid.com to try and pay my apartment payment each month....two months rest....presto! 40K points!!!

01/11/13:

Chase Sapphire Pref. II AMEX Platinum II Amex PRG II Amex SPG II Citi AAdvantage II Barclays US Airways II Chase Freedom
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to call and the CS rep was able to change me over to the new $2000 promotion.

Message 14 of 23
bmd0224
New Contributor

Nice work!!

01/11/13:

Message 15 of 23
CreditMENA
New Contributor

Just FYI: williampaid charges 2.95% for a credit card transaction. Assuming your rent is ~$1,000/mo, you'll end up paying $60 in transaction costs to get rewards of essentially $400. That's 15% of your entire bonus package. Unless you need the points immediately, I'd see if you can spend it over the 3 month period and save yourself $60.

Message 16 of 23
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

I'd just not worry about the util until you are planning to apply for credit. Then pay before the statement date that month. All the other months just use the extra 3-4 week float and pay on time

This. Your util, and your credit score for that matter, only matter when you are applying for credit. If you need to spend big once and your util spikes, no big deal it'll just go back down the next month when you PIF. Your score doesn't have a memory of past util like it does with baddies, it's just a snapshot of the now. If you don't want to bend over backwards to control reported util that month, you don't have to unless you are applying for something right then.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 23
severine
Contributor

Good to know, thanks everybody!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 18 of 23
severine
Contributor

WHich number did you call? I called the Chase app number listed in the Backdoor thread and spoke to an overseas rep who told me that it would not be possible to change the terms of the iniital offerSmiley Sad

Message 19 of 23
ajh5408
Contributor

@severine wrote:

WHich number did you call? I called the Chase app number listed in the Backdoor thread and spoke to an overseas rep who told me that it would not be possible to change the terms of the iniital offerSmiley Sad

Try calling the number on the back of your Sapphire... Should be US-based phone support.

Alternatively, you may just want to send a Secure Message via the online banking system detailing your request.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.