Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't apply for Citi if you have a BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't apply for Citi if you have a BK

Way back when I had a BK (1985) I was only 21 years old and got a little crazy with CC..

Fast forward to 2012 (27 years later) I sent off for a Citi CC and they said no due to a BK on my record..

I thought it was a mistake so I called them a few days ago and sent them a copy of my EQ CR..

Just got off the phone and was told by the rep that Citi is very unforgiving about stuff like this.. 

27 years? Talk about holding a grudge.Smiley Frustrated

Just for the record I did have a Citi card in that BK.. Someone here might want to chime in if they had a BK

in the past 7-10 years and did get a Citi card with or w/out a Citi card in that BK.. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Don't apply for Citi if you have a BK

@Anonymous wrote:

....Just for the record I did have a Citi card in that BK.. Someone here might want to chime in if they had a BK

in the past 7-10 years and did get a Citi card with or w/out a Citi card in that BK.. 

I think the problem isn't that you had a BK in the past at all.  You are what's known as "Blacklisted" at Citi.  Many companies do this for bad debt they charge off.  I suggest searching on here for "Remove bl;acklist" or "Remove Citi Blacklist" to see if anyone else has had success getting this decision reconsidered.

Sounds crappy after so long, but think about it.  If I borrowed a thousand bucks from you ten years ago, then moved...  If I showed up again asking for money you'd probably tell me to go pound sand, no matter how long it had been.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

Citbank and US Bank (and thus Elan Financial Services) are VERY UNFRIENDLY to bankruptcy.  I applied for a Shell Gas card and was denied.  In the letter it said bankruptcy.  Was the only reason.  On their website for credit disclosure it states not eligible if bankruptcy detected (in better legalese)

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks P, I started looking into it a little.. Haven't found anything yet.I mat just call them one more time and end it..

I hear AMEX is just as bad.. I wanted to get the Blue cash in a few months but I think it may not be worth a HP..

Had a Gold and Green card back then but I can't remember if it was listed in the BK or not.

TB, Your BK was less then 2 years ago.. I would expect a little resistance from them.. My BK is

27 years old.. I didn't know it was going to be held against me until I die.

Message 4 of 5
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I had a BK in 7/02 that did not include Citi. I was approved for a Citi Dividend 3/12 with the BKstill reporting. I was also approved for a Diamond Preferred 6/02. My BK has since fallen off my reports.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.