Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Cash Question

tag
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

Double Cash Question

So I recently PC'd my AA WEMC to a DC card a month back.  I finally got my new DC card today and saw it's a World MC and not WEMC...

Needless to say I'm irritated because I do use the WEMC benefits when travelling heavily for business/pleasure.  I called Citi and spoke to 2 different CSR's and even MC and they all say "there's nothing we can do" which is BS to me.  My wife who has a DC card (just got approved for it a month ago) and not on my account has a $500 limit and got a WEMC sent to her, my limit is $15k so I know it's not the usual SL issue.

Has anyone seen this or know what is going on and how to change it?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double Cash Question

A Google search shows a lot of similar issues on other sites and years of threads here. :/

It seems almost random who gets a WMC & WEMC.

Lots of people calling to ask about it/the benefits. Customer service reps saying WEMC citi double cards don't exist...even though caller is holding it in hand.

Some get told it depends partly on how much you use it.

Some get told Mastercard decides it.

And all other sorts of inaccurate & unhelpful replies by customer service.

Saw someone say they requested replacements through the year and 2nd replacement was a WEMC.
Maybe tell them you keep losing your card every week until you get a WEMC? lol "yea, I know I lose it often. Maybe if it were a WEMC, I'd care enough to remember where I placed it."
(Note: though you could anger them with super frequent replacements and they close your account)
Message 2 of 15
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Rebuilt, I was actually thinking the same thing. If you ask for a replacement and it’s random I bet that would work. Considering it’s a good possibility someone who makes the card probably grabbed the world and not WEMC? Who knows lol. I’ll try that. Thanks again!
Message 3 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, it cannot be changed.  If you are still within the PC window to refuse the conversion (contact them or read the terms which were sent to you), you can revert back to the AAdvantage PS account which may include being assessed the AF.  But, regardless of CL, it's the result of back-end coding with the accounts.  C/S agents, supervisors, etc., are unable to manually override it.  It's worth noting that even if you were converted to a DC WEMC, the WEMC benefits (e.g. car rental elite status) are not available or the same as those of the AAdvantage PS CC.

Message 4 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@atst2000 wrote:
Thanks Rebuilt, I was actually thinking the same thing. If you ask for a replacement and it’s random I bet that would work. Considering it’s a good possibility someone who makes the card probably grabbed the world and not WEMC? Who knows lol. I’ll try that. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that the above 'trick' also failed for a lot of folks.  So, you can keep trying, but it may still end up as WMC, again.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Finstar said, not guaranteed to get one. But if the card is useful otherwise & you intend to keep it, doesn't hurt to replace it every 6 months for "security reasons" until you hopefully get one.

And Mastercard is so weird with those benefits. When I first learned about Mastercards having different levels, I looked into what each meant...and was annoyed to see a card could be a certain level, but lacking most of that level's benefits, as the lender (so in this case, Citi) decides what benefits are actually available to the card. Makes looking at Mastercard issued cards such a headache to compare to other cards. Leaves you with trying to dig through Google results and/or trying to call the lender to ask customer service. ..which can be a very fruitless effort, as you are experiencing trying to ask what should be a simple question.
If you want good benefits & good customer service, you could always take your swipes over to American Express. ^.^
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed that it's annoying the lender gets to chose benefits on WEMC. We were getting hammered by the "WEMC has new benefits" commercials a few weeks back. So I decided to do some further digging, because like every commercial, it looked like a great deal. After digging around, it's pretty convuluted and every lender I could find had different benefits attached. I wouldn't mind seeing them make the benefits universal and keep the cards that qualify for WEMC rare like Visa Infinite. That way you'd know what you were getting.

OP, sorry about the switch in status. It also seems pretty strange and annoying that Citi would just switch that on you. I agree with others that requesting new cards occasionally may be the best route to take. Look into the benefits the DC gets as a WEMC though too. Good luck!
Message 7 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Agreed that it's annoying the lender gets to chose benefits on WEMC. We were getting hammered by the "WEMC has new benefits" commercials a few weeks back. So I decided to do some further digging, because like every commercial, it looked like a great deal. After digging around, it's pretty convuluted and every lender I could find had different benefits attached. I wouldn't mind seeing them make the benefits universal and keep the cards that qualify for WEMC rare like Visa Infinite. That way you'd know what you were getting.

OP, sorry about the switch in status. It also seems pretty strange and annoying that Citi would just switch that on you. I agree with others that requesting new cards occasionally may be the best route to take. Look into the benefits the DC gets as a WEMC though too. Good luck!

Right, but note that even the rare Infinite is already similar in variation.   The CSR doesn't offer the $100 airfare discount, and so these designations are pretty useless!

But for OP I think Finstar's point is critical.   Which WEMC benefits do you use?   Most of them ARE missing from the WEMC DC, so going through a lot of work to get it might be useless.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a PC to a DC a few years ago and mine shows it's a WEMC.

Message 9 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

App a new DCSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.