Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double credit on Amex Offers - VZW cell phone payment

tag
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Double credit on Amex Offers - VZW cell phone payment

I just wanted to share something that happened with me this morning that may be of interest to some people with American Express cards.  I recently received and signed up for two, fairly similar Amex Offers on my American Express Hilton Honors card - one for a $5 credit if I spent $125 or more on my cell phone bill, one for a $5 credit if I spent $100 or more on my cable or satellite TV bill.  The offers can be used up to four times ($20 savings on each offer) through 10/18/21.

A few days ago, I paid my Verizon Wireless cell phone bill using the Amex Hilton Honors card, and received two immediate email notifications - one for the $5 credit for paying my cell phone bill, and one for the $5 credit for paying my cable/satellite TV bill.  I figured the dual emails was a mistake; the bill I paid was only for my VZW cell phone plan (though I will note I also have Verizon FiOS as my cable TV provider).  This morning, I checked my American Express account, and I saw I received both credits, even though my payment was only for my cell phone bill.  I'm not complaining. Smiley Happy

The question I have to ask myself now is if I should use my Amex Hilton Honors to pay my cable TV bill (which I just received notification about this morning from Verizon) to get the $5 credit (or who knows, two $5 credits) for that payment, or only put my Verizon Wireless payment on my Amex card for the next three months to meet the maximum target.  (My monthly cell phone bill is smaller than my monthly cable TV bill, so the $5 credit benefit is greater on my cell phone bill relative to receiving regular credit card rewards on either bill; I usually don't use the Amex Hilton Honors card to pay those bills.)

At any rate, I thought some of you who may have received similar Amex Offer(s) would find my dual credit reward for paying my cell phone bill interesting.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double credit on Amex Offers - VZW cell phone payment

Great intel -- thanks for sharing.Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 3
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Double credit on Amex Offers - VZW cell phone payment

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

I just wanted to share something that happened with me this morning that may be of interest to some people with American Express cards.  I recently received and signed up for two, fairly similar Amex Offers on my American Express Hilton Honors card - one for a $5 credit if I spent $125 or more on my cell phone bill, one for a $5 credit if I spent $100 or more on my cable or satellite TV bill.  The offers can be used up to four times ($20 savings on each offer) through 10/18/21.

A few days ago, I paid my Verizon Wireless cell phone bill using the Amex Hilton Honors card, and received two immediate email notifications - one for the $5 credit for paying my cell phone bill, and one for the $5 credit for paying my cable/satellite TV bill.  I figured the dual emails was a mistake; the bill I paid was only for my VZW cell phone plan (though I will note I also have Verizon FiOS as my cable TV provider).  This morning, I checked my American Express account, and I saw I received both credits, even though my payment was only for my cell phone bill.  I'm not complaining. Smiley Happy

The question I have to ask myself now is if I should use my Amex Hilton Honors to pay my cable TV bill (which I just received notification about this morning from Verizon) to get the $5 credit (or who knows, two $5 credits) for that payment, or only put my Verizon Wireless payment on my Amex card for the next three months to meet the maximum target.  (My monthly cell phone bill is smaller than my monthly cable TV bill, so the $5 credit benefit is greater on my cell phone bill relative to receiving regular credit card rewards on either bill; I usually don't use the Amex Hilton Honors card to pay those bills.)

At any rate, I thought some of you who may have received similar Amex Offer(s) would find my dual credit reward for paying my cell phone bill interesting.

I think if you're getting the dual credit and your cable bill is less than $100 it's definitely a great deal.  Otherwise, Verizon gives a $5 discount monthly for auto pay on a debit card anyway.

Great find for the right person, though!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.