Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double warranty on AmEx question?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Double warranty on AmEx question?

I have a Delta AmEx. I've always understood that purchasing on AmEx doubles the warranty on items. My question is...how do the practical aspects of this work?

I will be purchasing a laptop. I have a WalMart Discover I can put it on and get interest free for awhile. Or, I can put it on my AmEx and pay it off. How does the "double the warranty" with AmEx really work? If I buy a certain brand computer and their warranty expires, I certainly can't just send it back to them for repairs...because their warranty is gone. Right? How does AmEx handle this? Has anyone actually used the double the warranty service?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Double warranty on AmEx question?

It doesn't double warranty, it adds one additional year of warranty on top of manufacturer warranty provided manufacturer warranty is less than 5 years.

Example, say your laptop has two year warranty. By putting it on AMEX, you have three years of warranty. During the first two year, your warranty is carried out by manufacturer (HP, Dell, etc). For the third year, your warranty is carried out by AMEX.

Message 2 of 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info. In using your example, does that mean you would actually ship your laptop off to AmEx during year three if it needed work that was covered by warranty?

Message 3 of 5
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

I think once you need warranty service you call and get authorization and fax over repair receipt and get reimbursed. 

Message 4 of 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

Thanks for the info. In using your example, does that mean you would actually ship your laptop off to AmEx during year three if it needed work that was covered by warranty?

Usually, credit card company like Visa (which should be no different than AMEX) requires you to find a professional to get a repair estimate. From there they either cover the repair bill or ask you to send the laptop in and get reimburse of the original price. They may or may not cover the cost of getting an estimate.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.