cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade CSR and keep UR or switch to Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downgrade CSR and keep UR or switch to Amex?

I have a bit of a dilemma. I’ve crunched the numbers and can’t justify keeping my beloved CSR beyond this year. I’m in between downgrading it and sticking with the Chase ecosystem (which I love!) or sorta switching to Amex. Dilemma. My spouse has the Amex platinum with about 50k MR balance. Annual fee is due next month. We won’t be keeping the Amex platinum. One thought is to have her apply for the Amex green card to keep the point balance alive, get the sub, and over the summer after canceling the CSR switch dining and travel to the green card. We value the lounge buddy and clear credits so it’s a great fit for us. We would keep all of the non bonus spend on the Hyatt Visa. We love Hyatt points and it is the reason we have stayed and loved the chase ecosystem. Other option is to downgrade to the CSP but we would only get 2x on travel/dining (our biggest categories).

So the dilemma, stay with the beloved Chase or switch to the evil Amex? Goal is to keep a good balance of transferable airline and hotel points. Though the Hyatt visa can fill in the gaps. We have enough chase cards that offer primary rental coverage so that isn’t an issue.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Downgrade CSR and keep UR or switch to Amex?

if you considered all aspect (including lounge, 1.5cpp, partner transfer) and creunched numbers, I don't see why there is a need to stay in UR system.

now if you are unsure if your math is complete, you will need to provide way more details for others to double check for you.

Message 2 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I recently PCed my CSR to a second Freedom.

Hyatt points are good, but a lot of my travel has been to visit friends and family, or in places where there were no Hyatts or award space. I've been using airline miles faster than hotel points. With the certificates and credits from my cards, I won't need any more hotel points for a while.

So I use BofA Premium (PH 2.625%/3.5% travel and dining) instead of Hyatt now as a dining card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 28
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

bd1.jpg

The question really is, do you want to maximize rewards, or stay with a system you like. Which is worth more to you?

But amex has cookies. Ask @UncleB 

Message 4 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

My take would be do you know how you would use your MR and UR, which would you consider to have much better value. For just travel and dining the green card seems like just the better deal. I also personally think MR >UR , UR is just too limited with the amount of partners they have now , and how much each of the programs they do have been nerfed into the ground. 

I do still have hands in UR and MR right now with CIP for 3x travel and UR transfer partners with a plethora of their no af cards both freedoms and both of the no af ink cards. I have MR with my Amex gold card for the 4x restaurants and groceries. I am saving most of my UR for hotels whenever i need them. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

the cookie is a lie.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife was just approved for the Amex Green. Goodbye CSR. I’m actually a little emotional about this switch. I was pro Amex in the 00s (SPG - best ever), pro Chase in the 10s, and now again back on the Amex bandwagon again (ugh!!!) in the 20s. I wish Chase would change their mind about this senseless fee hike. It’s a play out the Amex platinum book - everyone hates these stupid credits.
Message 7 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wife was just approved for the Amex Green. Goodbye CSR. I’m actually a little emotional about this switch. I was pro Amex in the 00s (SPG - best ever), pro Chase in the 10s, and now again back on the Amex bandwagon again (ugh!!!) in the 20s. I wish Chase would change their mind about this senseless fee hike. It’s a play out the Amex platinum book - everyone hates these stupid credits.

I am actually wondering how much the 100k CSR SUB originally affected/is affecting CSR AF hikes. At least with CSR the travel credit are a lot easier to use than the Amex ones. I am wondering if EDP+Green may be better fit for me than Amex gold. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am actually wondering how much the 100k CSR SUB originally affected/is affecting CSR AF hikes. At least with CSR the travel credit are a lot easier to use than the Amex ones. I am wondering if EDP+Green may be better fit for me than Amex gold. 

In a perverse way, I actually kind of like the Amex credits as they are.

Those particular restrictions don't inconvenience me too greatly, and between Uber and airfare extras credits I only lose about 10% to waste (such as not using an Uber credit or paying some inflated amount on Uber Eats). Before getting tougher on gift card redemptions, I think I read (drawn from an Amex earnings call transcript) that Amex customers on average used only 75% of the $200 airfare extras credit. The Uber waste is probably just as great.

So if something is reasonably good for me...and cheap for Amex to provide to the average Platinum customer...that may give it some nerf resistance.

I don't assign much value to the Saks credit. I even forgot to buy some socks in the second half of 2019. But I have gotten some socks before, and initially even got a favorable error when it offset a liquor store purchase.

For someone who likes Hyatt hotels (and doesn't mind the few properties) and either doesn't fly much, only flies United, can find cheap revenue seats for 1.5 cpp redemptions, etc...I can see the appeal of URs.

Hyatt and United were once the darlings of the UR program, but both have both gone through reasonable devaluations in the last few years. Chase transfer bonuses are very rare, and Chase lacks a 2x card like BBP for MR or DC for TY.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 28
Jccflat
Established Contributor

If i use Uber 4 grand a year will be worth it to switch from CSP to CSR?
I’ll use instead the Lyft I guess
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.