cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade for Chase United Explorer Card?

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Downgrade for Chase United Explorer Card?

This question is not for me, but i'm asking for my GF. She has the United card, however the $95 annual fee isn't worth keeping it after the first year. We used some, not all, of the perks last year however the next travel arrangements we make will be via my Sapphire Preferred card and the perks i've earned through it. And that's all the travel we'll be doing this year. Bescides if we do decide to make additional plans, i'll just put it on my CSP for the 2x points. 

Initially this card sounded like a great deal however i've come to realize it's quite worthless to us. We don't want to cancel the United card, specifically because she doesn't want to lose the credit history. She's pretty new to building credit, so closing her only credit card would be detrimental. So i'm curious if you're able to downgrade to the Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited cards? Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

|  
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Downgrade for Chase United Explorer Card?

Sure, just shoot them a message online and ask what your options are.  Chase is the most flexible when it comes to changing things up.

Message 2 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

This question is not for me, but i'm asking for my GF. She has the United card, however the $95 annual fee isn't worth keeping it after the first year. We used some, not all, of the perks last year however the next travel arrangements we make will be via my Sapphire Preferred card and the perks i've earned through it. And that's all the travel we'll be doing this year. Bescides if we do decide to make additional plans, i'll just put it on my CSP for the 2x points. 

Initially this card sounded like a great deal however i've come to realize it's quite worthless to us. We don't want to cancel the United card, specifically because she doesn't want to lose the credit history. She's pretty new to building credit, so closing her only credit card would be detrimental. So i'm curious if you're able to downgrade to the Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited cards? Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Once you've had the card for a year you can (or, at least until recently) downgrade it to either the no-fee Mileage Plus card or the United Travelbank card, you'd have to compare the 2 cards to determine which would be potentially more useful to you.   Chase generally does not allow a PC from a co-branded to a Chase-branded card.

Keep in mind that one can get a Chase-branded card and transfer CL over to it from a co-branded card, which may be a good option for your GF later down the road.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 5
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info!

She's had the card for over two years, i believe. I'll have to check.

I saw a video online where they mentioned you could downgrade to the NF United Plus or the Travelbank however even though they're a NF card, they won't make much sense.

She hasn't signed up for Global Entry yet, so we'll do that to offset this years $95AF (we've both been meaning to do it anyway).

Since i have the CSP i figured the CFU would be the better card for her, but if they wont' let her downgrade to that then i'll just have to stay on her to make sure we utilize its perks to offset the AF.

|  
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message Chase and ask them what your options are.  They will list all potential changes that are available.  Make a choice and then you can try again if you don't have a direct option to go to your ideal card.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.