cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading Chase Sapphire Reserve before second annual fee?

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Downgrading Chase Sapphire Reserve before second annual fee?

I thought you had to downgrade to CS before being able to PC to Freedom.
Message 11 of 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Soon as the annual fee posts on my CSP I’m downgrading it as well.

I don’t follow the ever changing chase rules anymore. Chase cards just don’t appeal to me anymore.

Has there been any chatter lately about downgrading with points ? There was a survery/rumor a while ago about not being able to combine points from no-AF cards to AF cards.
I plan on having to upgrade again when I want to redeem my 80K in UR points. I need to keep building it up for a while and the freedom should help with the 5X.
I’m mainly concerned about downgrading with all those points and them changing the rules and the points being locked into true cash back.

Does the No-AF sapphire card have FTF ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 12 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
I thought you had to downgrade to CS before being able to PC to Freedom.

Very YMMV apparently but seems tied to age of the card being PC'd. And even then seems like some had to jump some hoops.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Sapphire-gt-Freedom-PC-no-go/td-p/5211531

My GF got the CSP not long after its release so age of the account was definitely NOT the issue. I'm going to assume it was the possibility that she already had one on file that was the hangup for her.

Message 13 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Has there been any chatter lately about downgrading with points ? There was a survery/rumor a while ago about not being able to combine points from no-AF cards to AF cards.

[...]

Does the No-AF sapphire card have FTF ?

The survey from what I remember was a possibility in the future not allow pooling of ANY points period whether through your own accounts or points transferred to a spouse in the household for instance. I cannot imagine them doing this without making a lot of people mad. You never know though.

And best guess is yes because the only Chase cards that waive the FTF have AFs attached to them and the Sapphire has no AF.

Message 14 of 17
hyprble
Regular Contributor

A year or two ago I was able to downgrade my Chase Sapphire Preferred to a second Freedom (I already had the Freedom).  I had the Sapphire Reserve, told them I didn't want to pay the AF for two Sapphire products, and they gave me the choice to downgrade to a no AF card.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm. Well regardless even if the sapphire step is required. I can always product change my freedom unlimited to the freedom instead. The card gets no use for me anyways.
Message 16 of 17
digitek
Established Contributor

I just cancelled mine yesterday, AF came due and I wasn't feeling it.  The customer service rep was really nice, I will miss that part, the dedicated customer support line...

They said you had 41 days since they charge the AF to close/product change before they charge you a pro-rated fee.

I thought of PC'ing to the Freedom Unlimited since it is behind the 5/24 wall and I could PC to something else in the future if I wanted, but have decided to simplify recently.  I have 2 cards that are 2% and the Freedom is 1% on non-rotating category, so I just told them to move some of the limit to they Freedom and close it down.

It is a solid card and I might end up picking it up again in the future, I had no issues with it at all, just didn't want to pay the AF right now and wanted to try a different travel card this year.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.