Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading cards that have Annual Fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downgrading cards that have Annual Fees

Reading this forum has really gotten me thinking about not just which cards I have, but what value they bring to me. After getting hit with two AF on Jan 1, I decided to take a look at all my cards that have an AF. Some I’m definitely keeping, I feel like I get enough out of them to justify paying it, but there are a few that I’m considering trying to downgrade and was hoping to get some advice.

The cards with AF that I’m keeping as-is: Amex Plat, Citi TY, Chase IHG, and Chase SP 

I’m thinking about downgrading these cards: (I’m including my current AF and account opening date in case that's helpful)

• Amex Delta Gold $95 to Delta Blue $0 - opened 03.18 not sure if I should wait until it’s been opened for another year or so before I try to downgrade. I don’t want Amex to think I’m just trying to churn SUB.
  • Avianca Vuela $149 to Vida $59 - opened 12.17
  • Citi AA Plat WEMC $99 to AA MileUp $0 - opened 02.14
  • Barclay Aviator Red $95 to ?? - opened 12.17
Right now I have two AA cards, Citi and Barclay, I don’t fly them near as often as I used to so I’m open to suggestions for cards I might be able to downgrade them to. I’d like to keep one card that gets me AA miles, but I don’t feel like I need two (or at least pay for two).

Also, when downgrading is it better to do it when there isn’t a balance on the card? Right now only Citi AA has a balance, but that should be paid off by the end of the month.

I’d welcome any advice/suggestions you guys might have. Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Downgrading cards that have Annual Fees

Citi AA has a no AF version, not sure if barclays does though. Based on my experience with Citi, and the reports I've heard about Barclays. I personally would keep Citi AA over them.

I don't think it's a good idea to close a CC with a Balance.

Message 2 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi AA has a no AF version, not sure if barclays does though. Based on my experience with Citi, and the reports I've heard about Barclays. I personally would keep Citi AA over them.

I don't think it's a good idea to close a CC with a Balance.

i downgraded citi aa to DC and barclays aviator to barlcays rewards if i recall. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd wait at least a year on the Amex.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

AA milesup would be the one to pc to. I will also get that sometime in 2019 or 2020, I need an AA mile card to keep my AA miles from expiring.

Message 5 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AA milesup would be the one to pc to. I will also get that sometime in 2019 or 2020, I need an AA mile card to keep my AA miles from expiring.

You can also buy something from the AA shopping portal (https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com) to earn a few miles and keep them from expiring.   (Note this is like ebates/topcashback etc, you have a choice of lots of merchants, not AA merchandise!)

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

excellente! I guess I can have one less card to app! Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably go ahead and wait till next year to downgrade the Amex DL, then after I finish paying off the Citi AA switch that to the no AF version. I'm going to look into the Barclays rewards card that was mentioned too.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question, I've never downgraded a card before, will I get a HP? Will the account/card history move over or will it be like I closed that account and applied for a new one? Right now I'm trying to let my accounts age and not open any new accounts, so I don't want to do anything that might compromise that.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

downgrade should not incur HP,  you will have the same account number and a new card, just operate under a different agreement.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.