cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading cards that have Annual Fees

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Member

Downgrading cards that have Annual Fees

Reading this forum has really gotten me thinking about not just which cards I have, but what value they bring to me. After getting hit with two AF on Jan 1, I decided to take a look at all my cards that have an AF. Some I’m definitely keeping, I feel like I get enough out of them to justify paying it, but there are a few that I’m considering trying to downgrade and was hoping to get some advice.

The cards with AF that I’m keeping as-is: Amex Plat, Citi TY, Chase IHG, and Chase SP 

I’m thinking about downgrading these cards: (I’m including my current AF and account opening date in case that's helpful)

• Amex Delta Gold $95 to Delta Blue $0 - opened 03.18 not sure if I should wait until it’s been opened for another year or so before I try to downgrade. I don’t want Amex to think I’m just trying to churn SUB.
  • Avianca Vuela $149 to Vida $59 - opened 12.17
  • Citi AA Plat WEMC $99 to AA MileUp $0 - opened 02.14
  • Barclay Aviator Red $95 to ?? - opened 12.17
Right now I have two AA cards, Citi and Barclay, I don’t fly them near as often as I used to so I’m open to suggestions for cards I might be able to downgrade them to. I’d like to keep one card that gets me AA miles, but I don’t feel like I need two (or at least pay for two).

Also, when downgrading is it better to do it when there isn’t a balance on the card? Right now only Citi AA has a balance, but that should be paid off by the end of the month.

I’d welcome any advice/suggestions you guys might have. Thanks!

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Valued Contributor

Re: Downgrading cards that have Annual Fees

Citi AA has a no AF version, not sure if barclays does though. Based on my experience with Citi, and the reports I've heard about Barclays. I personally would keep Citi AA over them.

I don't think it's a good idea to close a CC with a Balance.

Message 2 of 12
Super Contributor

@Janus wrote:

Citi AA has a no AF version, not sure if barclays does though. Based on my experience with Citi, and the reports I've heard about Barclays. I personally would keep Citi AA over them.

I don't think it's a good idea to close a CC with a Balance.

i downgraded citi aa to DC and barclays aviator to barlcays rewards if i recall. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 12
Valued Contributor

I'd wait at least a year on the Amex.

Message 4 of 12
Valued Contributor

AA milesup would be the one to pc to. I will also get that sometime in 2019 or 2020, I need an AA mile card to keep my AA miles from expiring.

Ⳏroſilē oſ ᥠ chԑap, ſrēqⴑēnt ſlyԑr ✈⛽☕ ⳎroⳎel ✈☕ ⸿sƦ ✈☕☙ ❡olδ ☙ Ⲙileⴑp ⚕ ββⳎ ⌚ ααƤƧ
⛪ ८ſu ┊ ↇᏨ ┊ ८ſ ┊ iէ ┊▲G ⛎ ᐰmzn √ᐰ ┊ wſ -√ ⛪ Ɲĕхт: ✿❀❁ ─ ☙ ēD┊ qš
Message 5 of 12
Mega Contributor

@FortifiedHM wrote:

AA milesup would be the one to pc to. I will also get that sometime in 2019 or 2020, I need an AA mile card to keep my AA miles from expiring.

You can also buy something from the AA shopping portal (https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com) to earn a few miles and keep them from expiring.   (Note this is like ebates/topcashback etc, you have a choice of lots of merchants, not AA merchandise!)

Message 6 of 12
Valued Contributor

excellente! I guess I can have one less card to app! Smiley LOL

Ⳏroſilē oſ ᥠ chԑap, ſrēqⴑēnt ſlyԑr ✈⛽☕ ⳎroⳎel ✈☕ ⸿sƦ ✈☕☙ ❡olδ ☙ Ⲙileⴑp ⚕ ββⳎ ⌚ ααƤƧ
Message 7 of 12
Established Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably go ahead and wait till next year to downgrade the Amex DL, then after I finish paying off the Citi AA switch that to the no AF version. I'm going to look into the Barclays rewards card that was mentioned too.

Message 8 of 12
Established Member

Another question, I've never downgraded a card before, will I get a HP? Will the account/card history move over or will it be like I closed that account and applied for a new one? Right now I'm trying to let my accounts age and not open any new accounts, so I don't want to do anything that might compromise that.

Message 9 of 12
Valued Contributor

downgrade should not incur HP,  you will have the same account number and a new card, just operate under a different agreement.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.