cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading chase sapphire to freedom?

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Downgrading chase sapphire to freedom?

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@imaximous wrote:
If you’re not going to benefit from the card, you should probably downgrade and save the AF. You could always re-upgrade if plans change eventually. In fact, we downgraded CSR and Citi Prestige when the pandemic started.
Might consider a PC again if/when the situation improves, but all travel plans are canceled for the foreseeable future.

After downgrading to the Freedom Unlimited, how long do you have to wait before you can upgrade back to the CSR?  A year?  Less?

I don't know exactly how long. I've done this in less than a year before, but no idea how soon I could have. I think @CreditCuriosity has done this a few times.

Message 11 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@imaximous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@imaximous wrote:
If you’re not going to benefit from the card, you should probably downgrade and save the AF. You could always re-upgrade if plans change eventually. In fact, we downgraded CSR and Citi Prestige when the pandemic started.
Might consider a PC again if/when the situation improves, but all travel plans are canceled for the foreseeable future.

After downgrading to the Freedom Unlimited, how long do you have to wait before you can upgrade back to the CSR?  A year?  Less?

I don't know exactly how long. I've done this in less than a year before, but no idea how soon I could have. I think @CreditCuriosity has done this a few times.

Should be fine to upgrade at any time as long as available. Should be fine since you have had a higher AF card being the CSR before so not violating the card act etc..

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the post I was looking for. I've always wondered if you downgrade, can you re-upgrade later on. Thanks for that. 

Message 13 of 18
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the post I was looking for. I've always wondered if you downgrade, can you re-upgrade later on. Thanks for that. 

Yup, I downgraded my CSP to a no AF Sapphire and then upgraded again maybe 6-8 months later.

Message 14 of 18
gkinter
New Contributor

Thanks for everyone's input! I just called Chase and they told me while I can downgrade my APR will stay the same and I won't get any bonuses. I am prequalified to get a $200 bonus and 14.99 APR so I just might pull the trigger on the side but it makes me pretty sad that they want to keep a 23% APR even with me having a 750 credit score vs. 680 when I got the CSP. I asked if they can lower the CSP APR and they said no to that...

Message 15 of 18
gkinter
New Contributor

Another thought.... Could I get the Freedom unlimited, get the better apr and bonus... transfer the credit line to it from the CSP and than cancel CSP? 

Message 16 of 18
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@gkinter wrote:

Another thought.... Could I get the Freedom unlimited, get the better apr and bonus... transfer the credit line to it from the CSP and than cancel CSP? 

You could do that. I've transferred balances around between my cards with just a secure message to Chase. I don't know how much they'll require you to leave on the CSP, though.

Message 17 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@gkinter wrote:

You could do that and end up with just one card if that's all you want. Or, you could downgrade to a Freedom and still apply for a Freedom Unlimited. You get the SUB and now have a card that earns 1.5% everywhere and another that earns 5% on rotating categories.

The 5% Freedom doesn't need a large limit since it's maxed out at $1,500 per quarter. You could always reallocate your credit limits to accomodate your spending. 

Also, if you ever decide you want a Sapphire card again, you can PC back one of the cards and still have a second UR earning card; or continue to build on your UR ecosystem.

Just another thought.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.