Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dream credit card feature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dream credit card feature

What is the one feature you wish a new credit card had? It could be an existing feature out of reach for you now or one not offered at all.
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Dream credit card feature

@Anonymous wrote:
What is the one feature you wish a new credit card had? It could be an existing feature out of reach for you now or one not offered at all.

?   100% cash back.  No 200%!   10 million % !   etc.

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do wish airline cards were like hotel cards and let me buy elite status with a super premium card. I would drop some cash on annual fee for that. 

Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

3% CB (or greater, but let's be realistic) on any recurring (monthly) bills.

Message 4 of 43
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3% CB (or greater, but let's be realistic) on any recurring (monthly) bills.

Well it won't get all the bills, but Vantage West's 5% back on cell phone, cable, and utilities sounds about as close as we're going to get.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 43
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

We will never see a no-fee card that offers across-the-board cash back for at a rate higher than the interchange rate.  That's why cards that offer 3% (or more) on specific categories always offer a paltry 1% on non-category spending -- to keep the average reward below the interchange rate.  When Citi created the Double Cash card several years ago, many analysts thought it would fail because the 2% cash back used up most of the interchange fee.  Happily, Citi proved them wrong, but I assume that their profit margin on Double Cash is mighty slim.  And it doesn't surprise me that the USAA Limitless experiment with 2.5% across-the-board has come to an end.

My dream card would be a 3% grocery card that promptly posts the points, allows immediate redemption, and has no minimum redemption.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

We will never see a no-fee card that offers across-the-board cash back for at a rate higher than the interchange rate.  That's why cards that offer 3% (or more) on specific categories always offer a paltry 1% on non-category spending -- to keep the average reward below the interchange rate.  When Citi created the Double Cash card several years ago, many analysts thought it would fail because the 2% cash back used up most of the interchange fee.  Happily, Citi proved them wrong, but I assume that their profit margin on Double Cash is mighty slim.  And it doesn't surprise me that the USAA Limitless experiment with 2.5% across-the-board has come to an end.

My dream card would be a 3% grocery card that promptly posts the points, allows immediate redemption, and has no minimum redemption.

I've wondered for some time if (when) Disco will change up the It Chrome. A 2-2-1 card is far from competitive nowadays. Perhaps their higher swipe fees would allow them to simply add groceries as 3%...

Said swipe fees also ought to allow It Miles to be bumped to 2% if not 2.5%, which would also make them fix the It Chrome at the same time.

Message 7 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citigroup is getting slaughtered in their credit card division.  They put up an additional $500 million towards future chargeoffs (reserves), their net income dropped another 1%, and I believe their overall net revenue dropped 4% due to credit card losses except they also sold a subsidiary which netted them a net profit for the year, but it's hocus pocus reporting tricks.  Credit card losses were up 36% or more over 2016's results.

A bunch of credit analysts and bloggers are calling the end of 2% cards (general spend) which I think is probably likely in the prime tier categories, whereas the subprime and middle credit lenders like Synchrony are likely seeing a benefit out of their 2% Paypal card mostly because subprime and middle credit borrowers think they're making out on 2% cards but are charging more than ever and carrying balances where one month's interest wipes out the cashback.

Citi is too focused on high FICO borrowers and this is going to smack them into the wall they deserve to run into (my opinion).  You can't chase top prime borrowers and expect to profit anymore.  It doesn't work that way now that credit scoring has been gamed so well thanks to the internet and millions of data points.

To be honest, the one feature I would absolutely love would be a high cashback secured credit card where the secured balance earns the same as high yield savings after a period of on time payments or something.  Let me deposit $100,000 into a high yield CD or something earning 1.5% and give me 2% cashback on that secured card.  The bank has almost zero risk, so it can focus on the rare interest paid by some borrowers, and come close to breaking even on swipes versus rewards.

I don't need unsecured credit, I need access to the merchant processing network but I would honestly pay cash if I could get a big discount.  Let me back up my own credit card limit with cash, and I'd be happy to gice the bank middleman 0.25% on each transaction at most.

Message 8 of 43
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do wish airline cards were like hotel cards and let me buy elite status with a super premium card. I would drop some cash on annual fee for that. 

The airline tiers would be destroyed overnight if this happened. It’s already rare for a top tier elite to score a free upgrade to FC on any worthwhile route due to the sheer numbers of elites now, and premium economy is being almost entirely devoured by the existing elites well before check-in. CC membership would increase their ranks and make scoring so much as an exit row seat on some airlines a challenge, even for elites. Priority boarding is already available to half the passengers on a typical flight (look at the United Group 2 lines next time you’re at an airport). The only benefit that would survive to be of any value would be free checked bags, which one can get today with a CC. The irony thus is that by being able to pay an AF to join the elite, the elite will cease to be elite (for what that’s even worth today).

The feature I’d like to see on cards is a way to manage security and features via mobile app. For example, disable all of my cards with an app then re enable them on demand when I’m using them, or disable (on demand) the ability to use a card for an online transaction, swipe, chip insert, or any combination thereof.

Message 9 of 43
Kree
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The airline tiers would be destroyed overnight if this happened. It’s already rare for a top tier elite to score a free upgrade to FC on any worthwhile route due to the sheer numbers of elites now, and premium economy is being almost entirely devoured by the existing elites well before check-in. CC membership would increase their ranks and make scoring so much as an exit row seat on some airlines a challenge, even for elites. Priority boarding is already available to half the passengers on a typical flight (look at the United Group 2 lines next time you’re at an airport). The only benefit that would survive to be of any value would be free checked bags, which one can get today with a CC. The irony thus is that by being able to pay an AF to join the elite, the elite will cease to be elite (for what that’s even worth today).

The feature I’d like to see on cards is a way to manage security and features via mobile app. For example, disable all of my cards with an app then re enable them on demand when I’m using them, or disable (on demand) the ability to use a card for an online transaction, swipe, chip insert, or any combination thereof.

I blame the federal government mandate that employees/contractors purchase the cheapest flight available.  While it makes sense economically, with many businesses having adopted the same standards, most airlines have spend the last 20 years figuring out how to lower costs. Because the business travelers are guarranteed bookings despite declines in comfort, (assuming the lowest priced flight.) the quality of seating has decreased significantly. Many planes I've been on no longer even offer business class, and the first class on smaller planes are smaller than economy seats were 20 years ago.

I think if flight routes has a list price like meals and hotels, then airlines would start competing on the best quality possible for that price. The business class would rise again, and premium status might have some actual perks.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.