Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Citi Forward Dilemma!

tag
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

Dual Citi Forward Dilemma!

Last Wednesday, I applied for the Citi Forward card online and ran into an internet problem in the middle of it, so I did a quick reboot and tried again and was approved. Today, I open my mail and have not one, but two envelopes from Citi with two separate cards/accounts with identical terms/CL. I don't really need two Citi Forward cards as I also have a Citi mtvU, but I don't quite know what to do with the extra card since I figure I have probably taken a double credit hit for it.

My thoughts were that I could: a) cancel it, b) keep it open to see if I can get the bonus opening points for both cards and then do a product change somewhere on down the line, or c) keep it in ye olde sockdrawer without activation.

At the same time, I was also applying for a Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards card and am now afraid that if I get approved (got that stupid 30 day message they love to give out) I'll end up with a double hit/two cards for that account as well.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what to do about this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Re: Dual Citi Forward Dilemma!

Use both for a bit...  get the rewards, etc.  Then see if you can get them to consolidate the two into a single card with a higher CL.   At least that was my first inclination anyway.  Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 4
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

Ah... I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 3 of 4
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you only had two approvals and cards in hand I would say forge on. With another app or two with a 30 day message (probably a "NO" ) I would say tread carefully. You are probably going to be OK with the two you have the plastic for. I would use them both; of course you will get the new account stuff for both cards. Wait until the new accounts have aged a bit (6 months to a year) then merge them down. I would not do any further app'ing until you know exactly what has hit your CBR as a result of this mess.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-30-2009 05:25 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.