Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duck card approval profiles

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

Re: Duck card approval profiles

I don't think anyone knows for certain how the American express scoring model works. I do believe that any creditor has the ability to see payments made through your credit report. The fact that partial credit card numbers are posted on your credit report, it's possible to know an individual has an Amex due to the distinct account number. This is my opinion as to how I was approved with a low score with now four cards. Also, if Amex really likes when people PIF, then they would have seen that through my credit report as well since it reports payment due, due date and amount paid. Certainly those statistics can't hurt.
(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 271 of 620
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@12njoy wrote:
I don't think anyone knows for certain how the American express scoring model works. I do believe that any creditor has the ability to see payments made through your credit report. The fact that partial credit card numbers are posted on your credit report, it's possible to know an individual has an Amex due to the distinct account number. This is my opinion as to how I was approved with a low score with now four cards. Also, if Amex really likes when people PIF, then they would have seen that through my credit report as well since it reports payment due, due date and amount paid. Certainly those statistics can't hurt.

Yes, they can see payments if the lender reports them. Chase seems to report them for me, but Citi does not. Yes a payment history will increases your chances of approval, but it would be the same if the card is a Visa, Mastercard, or Discover branded card. What I am saying is that having an American Express card from another lender will not increase your chance of approval just because it is processed on the American Express network. If you had gotten the Chase Freedom instead of the USAA card and kept it the same amount of time and same payments and such, the outcome would've been the same.

Message 272 of 620
12njoy
Super Contributor

You could be correct, I'm not saying that you're
Wrong. This is simply my opinion that having Amex may have helped. It may have not, but its proprietary information which no one knows for certain but Amex
___________ 12Njoy
Message 273 of 620
12njoy
Super Contributor

I also wasn't relying on payments being processed on Amex's network because as you point out, that's immaterial.
___________ 12Njoy
Message 274 of 620
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Navigatethis is correct. 'Amex' cards that use their payment network only has no impact on your approval with Amex issued by Centurion Bank. His example of a Chase Visa approval does not factor into a USAA approval or vice versa.

Your overall credit, income, assets etc will determine if you meet Amex's criteria.
Message 275 of 620
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:
Well I went ahead and applied for the hell of it.....haven't had a new card in quite some time and was needing a 0% to do a BT from my Citi TYP thats expiring in a month with still 3k Balance...

Well I have mid-700 scores from all 3 CRA's total of 2 INQ on EQ 1 is due to fall off....

Instant Approval 20K ......had to call to get my CL...website only told me I was Approved, no details...Wasnt expecting 20k at all...my highest limit is 17K on my TYP...and that still hasnt reported yet, EQ still shows my old limit of 12K...They definitely are generous with the CLs

Congrats! That's a great CL! Smiley Happy Do you happen to know your util reporting?

I have around 13% total Utilization...

Message 276 of 620
12njoy
Super Contributor

Thanks 09lexie,

The point I was trying to make is that their has to be variations in their risk scoring model which we may not be aware of. I don't know what that is and it's not obviously one model fits all because I certainly would not have gotten approved with my stats.
___________ 12Njoy
Message 277 of 620
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Blackbeauty212, Thanks for the info. That's good to know since my util is higher. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 278 of 620
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@12njoy

Amex, like Chase and most lenders all have/use an internal risk score. It's all proprietary information and we will never know the algorithm used.
Message 279 of 620
12njoy
Super Contributor

@09lexie

We're in agreement thank you
___________ 12Njoy
Message 280 of 620
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.