Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due date strategies...help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Due date strategies...help please

@Anonymous wrote:

Ahh prismapp.com -- looks interesting but it's mobile only.  Will still check it out, thanks!

there is actually an app for Windows as well in the Windows store, I have it on my computer. I have completely ditched Mint for Prism at this point, even if you can't link your account you can at least add a manual bill as a reminder. I need to do that for my Blispay card, and rent... Regardless, I still highly recommend it!

Message 41 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ahh prismapp.com -- looks interesting but it's mobile only.  Will still check it out, thanks!

there is actually an app for Windows as well in the Windows store, I have it on my computer. I have completely ditched Mint for Prism at this point, even if you can't link your account you can at least add a manual bill as a reminder. I need to do that for my Blispay card, and rent... Regardless, I still highly recommend it!

I downloaded it to my Android device and am slowly playing with it but the lack of a website to access is a bit of a pain since I use a lot of PCs that aren't mine so installing apps on them isn't my desire.

I prefer using Mint from a web login most of the time -- I only pull the app open once a day to refresh balances to make sure nothing appeared that I didn't charge.  I really only use 1 CC (Discover, first year, 2% cash back with the annual match bonus) lately, so it's pretty easy to track.  Once I get out of FICO hell I'm sure I'll need to monitor more closely when I can juggle rewards benefits.

Message 42 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have 9 cards, but only 7 I really use. I spread my bills out to not overwhelm myself. And to provide a cushion in case an emergency happens.

Since rent is on the 1st, no cards due then. My flat rate cards are due in the middle of the month, as close to the 15th as possible. My rotating categories are set for as close to the 22nd as possible. And all others are set as close to the 8th.

This makes most spending evenly spread out in a month. Being paid week to week means this works well so I don't have to touch my savings. People who are paid monthly could easily opt for this method, or can pay everything once a month. Not exactly an option for a weekly paycheck person.
Message 43 of 50
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I have 19 (20?) cards with their original, varying due dates. I get paid twice a month.

I have a spreadsheet that I keep updated with balances, that also has statement cut date and due date. Basically there are cards due in the "first half of the month" and the "last half of the month".

Any cards with balances due anytime from the 2nd through the 14th (I don't have anything due on the 1st), are paid from my end of the month check.

Any cards with balances due anytime from the 15th through the 21st (late due date of any card), are paid from my mid-month check.

My limits are high enough on all cards and I'm not apping for anything anytime soon - so don't need to worry about minimal utilization reporting - that I no longer think about paying before a statement cuts...

I'm also pretty meh on linking my bank account to any of those apps. We used Mint for awhile but it was buggy (it's probably fixed now...). But I don't need an app; I stay on top of my card balances. I put pretty much everything on cards that won't cost me a fee to pay and it's easy to over-swipe Smiley Very Happy so I'm always quite aware of where I am!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 44 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that spread sheet link not valid anymore? It just shows up with some photo bucket pic account deal.... 

Message 45 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Simplest method.

1. Don't worry about the month to month scores

2. If a card has high util, pay down a few days after you make the charge

3. Do not sign up for EBill

4. When bill comes in the mail, open it, pull out phone, open app, pay it

No juggeling necessary

As a safeguard and backup plan

1. Set autopay on all accounts

2. Use Mint or similar services, including the cards website, to send a reminder to pay

Its not the end of the world if a high balance reports, next month it will come down. Dot stress over small changes in score.

Message 46 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 cards set for closing in the middle of the month and the rest close from the 2nd to the 4th. I also have them set to email at closing, that way I see them in my email folder. When I pay them, I move the email into another folder, that way it stares me in the face until I pay. 

Message 47 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

Here's a picture of the spreadsheet I created for myself.  The info on the far right is an example of tracking cashflow in an account that you would use to pay your bills.  I do not use the same account my work deposits my paycheck into as my bill pay account... that's mildly dangerous in my mind!

I track ALL my recurring payments with this spreadsheet.  I track 24 credit cards (although I only have a balance on 4-5 at any given time) along with the Mortgage, car payment, cable bill, etc.  I haven't missed a payment in six years.

I only mark an X by a bill after I've actually scheduled the EFT, and then I usually verify a day later that the EFT really did get scheduled.

Bill Payment Spreadsheet

Is this spreadsheet pic not working anymore? It just shows some odd pic that says something about updating photobucket acct. Or something like that.  

Message 48 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OP of that original link needs to find a new host, Photobucket is wanting people to pay for that privilege now...
Message 49 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that just sux!
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.