Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate charges on Amex account

tag
RnJ
Contributor

Duplicate charges on Amex account

Hi all,  please forgive my temporary confusion here but have a question, since this has never happened on any of our credit cards, ever. 

Today, hubby charged 43.30 at our local coffee shop, it was one single transaction.  While there, a new girl cancelled a first charge of 39.00 because she didn't know what she was doing.  Anyway, the total charge (corrected) was 43.30.

Next, hubby filled up at the gas station, paid at the pump (not inside) - one single transaction.  Charge was 63.00.

I knew there might be a problem on my online account due to the coffee shop girl's screw-up, so I went to check online Amex account and now I'm seeing this in the pending transaction section:

Coffeeshop - 39.00

Coffeeshop - 43.30

Gas station - 50.00

Gas station - 50.00

Total pending:  182.30

The real charges pending should only be 106.30

What gives?  I realize that some gas stations put a hold on the charges, but we've used this gas station for years and they have never used the hold option.  I also do not understand why they would charge 50.00 twice when the charge was actually 63.00.

I understand that pending charges can change and reflect actual charges, but should I call Amex tomorrow to make sure and to ask them to explain the discrepencies?  Shouldn't there also be a credit from the coffee shop, or should I wait to see if that will be credited in another day or two?

Thanks, this is worrying me.  I keep a tight reign on our accounts.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Re: Duplicate charges on Amex account

The gas station just preauthourized for 100 dollars, that's totally normal. The coffee shop probably reversed the first charge but the reversal takes longer to show up than a regular charge. You will see a -39.00 in a fee days. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Message 2 of 19
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I understand your concern. I am also OCD about my accounts. I think you should be fine. Sometimes when a merchant cancels a transaction, it will still appear as a hold on your account. It should go away in the next few days. As far as the gas station, I think that should also go away, although it is strange that they charged the card for $50 twice. The gas station I go to puts a hold on my Amex of $125 every time I fill up.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 3 of 19
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

The gas station likely had to do two pre authorizations because your car took more gas than the initial 50.
Message 4 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

I love this forum, quick responses. Thank you, guys!

Now I'm wondering, about the Amex - we never use it for gas, this is the first time (we usually use if for other large purposes).  I'm wondering if gas stations in general hold because it's an Amex card?  This has never happened on our other cards (Chase, Discover etc for gas purchases).  If that's the case, I don't think we'll be using the card for gas again.

I'll keep a check on it and wait for the pending charges to post, will see what happens.  I've kept the receipts and did a screenshot in case of future dispute, just hope it reverts to correct charges when it posts.

Message 5 of 19
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@RnJ wrote:

I love this forum, quick responses. Thank you, guys!

Now I'm wondering, about the Amex - we never use it for gas, this is the first time (we usually use if for other large purposes).  I'm wondering if gas stations in general hold because it's an Amex card?  This has never happened on our other cards (Chase, Discover etc for gas purchases).  If that's the case, I don't think we'll be using the card for gas again.

I'll keep a check on it and wait for the pending charges to post, will see what happens.  I've kept the receipts and did a screenshot in case of future dispute, just hope it reverts to correct charges when it posts.

I have also had holds placed on my Visa card (BB&T) when I used it for fuel at my local station. I don't remember for sure if there was a hold on my Discover card when I used it for fuel, but I think that there was. However, as always. YMMV.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

Well, we've used Chase, Discover and WF on a regular basis with our favorite gas station and never had a hold charge - I'm thinking maybe it's just with Amex. Luckily the CL on Amex is pretty high we never reach on purchases, but it makes for difficult accounting when they do that!

Message 7 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

@RnJ wrote:

Well, we've used Chase, Discover and WF on a regular basis with our favorite gas station and never had a hold charge - I'm thinking maybe it's just with Amex. Luckily the CL on Amex is pretty high we never reach on purchases, but it makes for difficult accounting when they do that!

don't worry too much about it. it will fall off on its own eventually.

Some banks take longer, while some are faster.

The slowest I've seen so far is with Citi. It sometimes takes up to 3 weeks for the authorization to fall off which can be somewhat irritating at times.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 19
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

They are doing the same thing to all of your credit cards, it's just that with amex you can actually see it onthe website. Nothing different is happening. It's to prevent a tank getting filled and then the customer not having the ability to pay for it. Every station does it as far as I know. Most make you pre pay if you are using cash now, too.
Message 9 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

Thanks, enharu, that would really suck.  Especially when you're timing your purchases with closing dates Smiley Frustrated   So far, so good with all our accounts posting quickly and I pay them off as soon as they post.  Just never had a hold on gas before, I know this happens to thousands of folks, I've always considered us lucky here.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.