Did you mean: 

EDP re-upgrade offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EDP re-upgrade offer

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@FieryDance wrote:

I thought you only needed to keep an AF card for 12+ months and pay one full AF to be considered "playing nice".  Amex wants 2 years now?  

There have been reports of people losing sub eligibility if downgrading or closing a card with less than 2 years in. I suspect it's very profile dependent though. I've seen people upgrade and downgrade the same cards multiple times with no issues.

If that's true than I could be SOL since I downgraded my EDP 2 weeks after I paid the annual fee.  I thought sub denial was actually due to low spend rather than downgrading cards after one year?  I've seen people online comment about not getting subs due to not enough spend on Amex cards but not because they downgraded after paying the annual fee for the card.  

Message 11 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@370Z wrote:

Is it certain that Amex will honor a second bonus on the same card? This is based on Amex's one per lifetime bonus rule. I know I've read of at least one anecdote where a second bonus was not honored on another site.

If they offer it, they'll honor it.

There are vague reports that a second bonus on the same card is possible if it has been seven years since the last card. But when the seven year timer starts, and whether some people need to wait longer, is very unclear.

So it sometimes happens, but it isn't certain.

And I did take the 25k EDP upgrade offer. I couldn't find any reports of better upgrade offers.

I was talking about upgrades, you're talking about a new card SUB. If your account is showing an upgrade offer, they're going to give you the offer. You can get an upgrade offer every other year if you're downgrading and upgrading. Some people don't see anything, others get an offer every time.

Message 12 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FieryDance wrote:

I thought you only needed to keep an AF card for 12+ months and pay one full AF to be considered "playing nice".  Amex wants 2 years now?  

There have been reports of people losing sub eligibility if downgrading or closing a card with less than 2 years in. I suspect it's very profile dependent though. I've seen people upgrade and downgrade the same cards multiple times with no issues.

If that's true than I could be SOL since I downgraded my EDP 2 weeks after I paid the annual fee.  I thought sub denial was actually due to low spend rather than downgrading cards after one year?  I've seen people online comment about not getting subs due to not enough spend on Amex cards but not because they downgraded after paying the annual fee for the card.  

It's generally believed that if you pay the AF and downgrade within that month you're safe. Unfortunately, it's been reported a few times that people will become ineligible for new SUBs for some reason. While some people have stated it's probably low spend, or they only used it for BTs, there's some where nobody can figure out what triggered the message. Some of those people even become eligible for SUBs if they wait a bit and still others won't be eligible for certain cards no matter what. It's just a hypothesis floating around, but I don't think there's really anything concrete either way.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.