Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMV Chip Cards

tag
Astraywhit

Re: EMV Chip Cards

Thank you for this thread!

I am going to look into the chip with pin--chip with signature apparently confuses the locals (experienced traveler relaying this to me, I'll find out soon enough..)

Message 21 of 28
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Penfed's Platinum Rewards Visa has EMV on request (I have one). The new Platinum Rewards Visa Signature has been reported not to have one yet.
Message 22 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Astraywhit wrote:
Thank you for this thread!

I am going to look into the chip with pin--chip with signature apparently confuses the locals (experienced traveler relaying this to me, I'll find out soon enough..)

Not sure which of the common cards are "real" chip&pin.  Many of them, including PenFed, default to chip&sig, but will go to chip&pin in certain "unattended" situations. 

Opinions differ on the value of chip&sig.  Personally I find it worse than swipe, as the clerks aren't expecting it, and in the UK the cashiers had to search around for pens for me to use to sign (as no-one does this anymore, pens aren't around!).   However, others say that the machine explains to the clerks in their own language what needs to be done, and if they are unfamiliar with swipe, chip&sig is better as it at least gives them instructions.  

But when there was a long line behind me, I learned just to use my UK chip&pin card, rather than the Penfed in chip&sig mode!

Message 23 of 28
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Would carrying a pen around with you make a big difference? As someone who is always toting around some kind of bag, if this will make my international transactions easier, it's not a big hassle for me.
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 24 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:
Would carrying a pen around with you make a big difference? As someone who is always toting around some kind of bag, if this will make my international transactions easier, it's not a big hassle for me.

Not a big difference, but might help a bit!    The basic issue to me is this:

There is a credit card machine (chip + pin):  99.99% of the users have a pure chip and pin card, they put the card in, enter the pin, and the transaction is complete.  They remove the card and go.

Then you come along, put your card in the machine (and hopefully remember to leave the card in, taking it out too soon is a common mistake).  After a while, the machine spits out a signature slip, which you have to sign and give to the cashier, something they are totally unused to. 

In contrast, with a swipe card, there is less confusion as this is clearly different from usual (although younger cashiers may not know how to do it).

Experience differs, but it is very rare to find a place that will accept chip&signature and not a swipe card.  Unattended kiosks and some vendors require chip&pin, and there chip&sig doesn't really help.  I think at present it is more a marketing ploy than a solution for a real need.  But YMMV.

Message 25 of 28
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:

It makes a huge difference for me. I always have my pen on me, and it's saved plenty of cashiers from scrambling around.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 26 of 28
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@ccardman wrote:

Hi All,

More and more banks are beginning to issue chip cards in the U.S. and I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to keep up with the latest offerings.  Since I recently did a lot of research to find the best chip card for my overseas travels, I decided to put together my findings below so others can benefit.  Since this is just a compilation of my notes, I'm sure its litered with inaccuracies and gaps so please take a look and suggest any changes or additions.  I’m also game for adding any personal notes about your experiences requesting, receiving, or having to reorder chip cards so any and all feedback is welcome.  I'll update this first post periodically with all the recent information.

Flyertalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-available-today-chip-pin-c...

American Express

Products

- Platinum (By Request)

Features

- Signature verification

- No cost for expedited shipping

Andrews FCU

Products

- Globetrek Rewards (Standard)

Features

- PIN verification (pre-set PIN)

- Replacement fee = $10

Bank of America

Products

- Travel Rewards (Standard)

- Privileges (Standard)

- Virgin Atlantic (Standard)

- Other Products Upon Request (Cash Rewards, Better Balance, Power Rewards, Asiana Airlines, AAA Member Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Royal Carribean)

Features

- Signature verification

Chase

Products

- British Airways (Standard)

- Hyatt (Standard)

- Ritz-Carlton (Standard)

- JP Morgan Select (Standard)

- Palladium (Standard)

- Marriot Rewards Premier (Standard)

Features
- Signature Verification

Citi

Products

- ThankYou Regular/Preferred/Premier (Standard)

- Platinum Executiv/Select/AAdvantage (Standard)

- Hilton HHonors Reserve (Standard)

- Prestige (Standard)

- Simplicity (By Request)

- Dividend (By Request)

- Forward (By Request)

- Diamond Preferred (By Request)

Features

- Signature Verification

- All Citi MasterCards can be converted upon request

Merrill Lynch

Products

- Merrill+

- Merrill Cash Back

Features

- Signature verification

PenFed

Products

- Cash Rewards

Features

- PIN Verification (self-selected)

U.S. Bank

Products

- Flex Perks

Features

- Signature verification

USAA

Products

- MasterCard Products (By Request)

Features

- PIN verification (pre-set PIN)

- If you lose your PIN you must be issued a new card

United Nations FCU

Products

- Platinum

Features

- PIN verification (pre-set or changeable?)

Great info...thank you!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 27 of 28
Torii

I know this should be more suited for FT, but I dont have an account over there (yet) Smiley Very Happy

I just got  targeted e-mail offer today for the AMEX BSR that shows the card now with EMV. I am not going to accept it because I think the APRs are too high, but good to know they are rolling it out. 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.