Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC Credit Card List

tag
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

EPIC Credit Card List

I'm trying to set goals as to which cards I may want to apply for after my credit is back up to a respectable number.  Maybe there are some great ones out there I haven't heard of yet...

What cards are in your dream wallet and why?

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EPIC Credit Card List

I don't think your far off from an AMEX Green Card, I was approved recently with my scores below. In a few weeks, I am going to try and upgrade my CapOne to No Hassle Cash and hope for a CLI and interest decrease....

Message 2 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think your far off from an AMEX Green Card, I was approved recently with my scores below. In a few weeks, I am going to try and upgrade my CapOne to No Hassle Cash and hope for a CLI and interest decrease....

no offense but are you looking at posters "current" scores??

and for your cap1, don't believe customers can initiate CLI at this time and you have to have the card for over a year to do pc if it's even available.

A good goal for the poster might be a cap1 secured or a best buy mc for now and then when you get your scores up over 600 maybe apple card by barclays, then at about 650 zync might be possible.

Message 3 of 34
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

Creditaddict:  Capital One secured is a done deal @ $200.  Should be in hand on/before 12/16 according to the agent I spoke with on Wed.  I have some derogs with HSBC at the moment that will be coming off in the near future so until then I don't think they'll give me another Best Buy card.  Smiley Sad

I'm really looking for any suggestions/card ideas for all steps along the way.  Good cards to look for as I grow and what cards I should be shooting for by the time I have excellent credit.  Thanks for the feedback.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was always told you to go from FICO 570's to 620-650 is not to hard if you don't have allot of baddies. Just takes a few (6-9) good months of perfect payments and better utilization. Now, I am not sure I am only 20 so have not exactly been around the block just yet. I was shocked to be approved for my AMEX Green with my scores, so just figured it's not really to hard to get...

But at the very moment, the only thing reported on my reports is 2 years with Capital One with a $1,500 CL, at 80% (Due to need repairs on my 63 Ford). My AMEX or Chase Amazon have yet to report...

I take no offence, I want to be educated in this area. So please do take the time to educate if you don't mind.

Message 5 of 34
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

I currently have 12-15 derogatory items on my credit history depending on which burea is reporting.  I was at ~720 in 2008 prior to separating from my ex-wife after having rebuilt my credit for 2 years.  I should have learned something after all that hard work but it seems I didn't.  I was going through depression post separation and simply didn't care about paying bills for a few months.  This was compounded by the fact that my vehicle was reposessed and all lines of credit were reduced/closed.

I've got a good outlook although it's a big poo sandwich I've made for myself and I'm going to have to eat most of it to get things back in order.  Total debt is approx $32,000.00.  I'm hoping to make some settlements and would be gladly willing to take a hit on my income tax return if it means reducing the total payment.  Then it's only a matter of waiting for the nasties to get old and making a nice pretty picture going forward.

The point of all this being that I'm certain I won't be approved for an AmEx at the moment, lol.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 6 of 34
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@dytch2220 wrote:

@Creditaddict:  Capital One secured is a done deal @ $200.  Should be in hand on/before 12/16 according to the agent I spoke with on Wed.  I have some derogs with HSBC at the moment that will be coming off in the near future so until then I don't think they'll give me another Best Buy card.  Smiley Sad

I'm really looking for any suggestions/card ideas for all steps along the way.  Good cards to look for as I grow and what cards I should be shooting for by the time I have excellent credit.  Thanks for the feedback.

I would add to that secured card on a regular basis until you have a large limit, before you apply for anything else.  I add some to mine every month.   IMO,  A few high limit cards is far better than a bunch of low limit cards.

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Secured Cards work? I don't think I need one, as I seem to be able to get unsecured just find. But do you get the deposit back after a year or so good faith? I been trying to get my older brother to get one since his credit is very poor, but never had the answer for him.

Message 8 of 34
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

StevenH90: Some cards do convert into unsecured after time.  I'm certain that the money would be sent back if you ever closed the account.  Even if the card doesn't convert into a regular one, it has the same effect on building your credit score as an unsecured card.  If you can't get a regular card, this one will be the way to go.  I'm going to hang on to my secured card(s) forever to keep a good AAoA and length of credit history as life goes on...

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will tell him that. We ran his scores and was low 400's... He keeps asking me to consign for a car (I am pretty sure I won't even get approved for a car myself), but I refuse to consign for anyone...

Have you checked out the Credit Card Center on this site? I am sure you have, but if not. It seems to have a card for everyone. Worth a shot?

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.