cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Each Store Card Deletes 20 FICO Points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Each Store Card Deletes 20 FICO Points?

so getting rid of my 3 store cards would increase my 799 FICO to 859 FICO. Smiley Very Happy
I can break the scale!
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

esshua wrote:
so getting rid of my 3 store cards would increase my 799 FICO to 859 FICO. Smiley Very Happy
I can break the scale!

Yeah, and just imagine what's gonna happen when you lose all your inquiries, too.  Hello, 874!!!

Message 12 of 29
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Steve Rhodes should join this forum...he might actually learn about FICO scoring. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Rhodes: those who have bad or fair credit might benefit from a new positive revolving TL, who cares if it's a store card or not. An opportunity to dilute the bad stuff on a report with something positive can and usually is a win, win situation.
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utl went from 4% to 2% - at the time

Seems you need 1 store/gas card for a good insurance score too-

I got it for the 0% deal- 12 months same as cash-

pdxuser wrote:
Hm... add 20pts, subtract 20pts, whatever. I wonder if the extra 20pts could have been from a lower util? What are other people's experiences in getting a store card (NOT a store-branded Visa/Disc/etc.)? And what is this little magic FICO estimator thing I keep reading about that lets you edit your credit report and see what happens? Would that be helpful to see how a store card affects a FICO score?`

Message 14 of 29
pdxuser
Contributor

What's an insurance score?
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

pdxuser wrote:
What's an insurance score?

Your credit profile is a part of what determines your insurance score, which in turn determines your auto insurance rates. 

Message 16 of 29
pdxuser
Contributor

Does it apply to home or other insurance?
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

pdxuser wrote:

Yes, it does.  I don't know why I specified auto insurance in my earlier post.

Insurance underwriters claim a person's credit profile is predictive of how likely someone is to file a claim.  Greater likelihood of filing a claim = higher risk for the insurer = higher rates.

Message 18 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

MV grumped about paying higher insurance, because of EX stubbornly treating his HELOC as revolving and dropping his score.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 29
rubaty
Frequent Contributor

cheddar wrote:

pdxuser wrote:

Yes, it does.  I don't know why I specified auto insurance in my earlier post.

Insurance underwriters claim a person's credit profile is predictive of how likely someone is to file a claim.  Greater likelihood of filing a claim = higher risk for the insurer = higher rates.

Do all insurance companies do this? 

Current Score: EX 772 EQ 777 TU 783 15 Jan 17
Goal Score: 815 across the board by Jan 18

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.