Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn 3% on everything using one card -Dead !-

tag
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Re: Earn 3% on everything using one card - RECENT UPDATE

Yes,

Someone mentioned that you need to take care of this box to make sure you earn 3%

Untitled.png

Message 241 of 409
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks alot i have opt out of pinless debit

Message 242 of 409
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks alot i have opt out of pinless debit

Of course, if you are a prime member,  you can get 5% on Amazon with less moving parts..

Message 243 of 409
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, to answer a lot of questions... Before I got all my cash back cards I was quite happy getting 1% from PayPal debit with this exact method, but linked with my bank account. I did this for years.

My biggest issues with this, is that there's two different fraud prevention safety levels for paypal debit Mc (a separate department when you call). There's one level when you have funds in PayPal (much more lenient) and one when you are using backup funding. I used the card... A lot. I would frequently (once or twice a week) get hit with fraud prevention denials when buying things. It was inconvenient and a bit embarrassing.

At the time, I was using it as my main source of funding aside from bank debit. The 3000 "daily" limit is more like 3-4 days. It was either because of the duration of pending charges or because of getting reimbursed by the bank. I can't remember for sure.

Despite the fraud prevention that, so far as I know, only ever pissed me off and didn't help in the least... I went to a lot of bars and clubs. I would use the card anywhere and not worry about theft. Once every say 3 or 6 months someone would skim the card (or a bartender wrote it down... Never cared the actual reason) paypal reversed all charges during the investigation. This happened to me frequently due to the (my opinion) places I would use my card and leave my tab open so I feel like I can rest everybody at ease... Aside from Amex, this was the simplest procedure of any other credit card I've needed to do. The largest fraud amount before they locked the card was probably 2000. I probably had 1000 pending and they maxed out the rest. The biggest fraud downside was, at the time, there was no way to expedite the card delivery. Now, there are ways of electronically linking the card by Samsung pay and others... So may not be as big of an issue. One of the reps recommended setting up a second debit card with my middle initial or something slightly different that I could alternate when it happened the next time.

The fraud department is separate from PayPal. If you accidentally get PayPal fraud department they can transfer you. You'll need the PayPal debit Mc department.

Now, despite the issues I had, it does sound interesting for non category spend and even the first time I've considered using plastiq.

Now for questions...
I have had my PayPal account since the late 90s and upgraded to the business account about the same time. I missed out on the 1.5% cash back they used to offer because while I had an account I didn't order and activate cash back soon enough.

So, has anyone tried creating a personal PayPal account, signing up for the 2% card, waiting for it in the mail and adding it to a business account? Does it still recognize it and allow it to be used fot backup funding?

For those who downgraded then upgraded, did you have any issues? One of the replies said the reps said it could never be upgraded to business again, but then a few other people said they had no issues
Message 244 of 409
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

^^

You can't add paypal cashback card manually. Once approved it will be loaded to your paypal account and you can use it for online purchases even before receiveing the card in the mail.

As far as upgrading and downgrading I don't see any issues with that. However, if you don't really care for your current paypal account or even if you care about it I think it's a good idea so open a brand new personal account then apply for credit card then upgrade to business and get the debit card that way you have one paypal account for let's say legit business and the other account just for this setup.

Thanks,

Message 245 of 409
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Earn 3% on everything using one card

So I am thinking about doing this but as I pay my rent out of the PayPal account (friends and family from my checking), would I still be able to use my personal checking to send F&F if I upgrade to business? Since I don’t get paid until the 3rd, PayPal lets me send my rent on the 2nd since the ACH won’t post until the 3rd so I can’t lose this convenience.
Message 246 of 409
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So I am thinking about doing this but as I pay my rent out of the PayPal account (friends and family from my checking), would I still be able to use my personal checking to send F&F if I upgrade to business? Since I don’t get paid until the 3rd, PayPal lets me send my rent on the 2nd since the ACH won’t post until the 3rd so I can’t lose this convenience.

I have a business account and yes I am able to "Send to friends and family" with no fee when taken from a checking account.

Message 247 of 409
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a business account and yes I am able to "Send to friends and family" with no fee when taken from a checking account.

Thank you for the info. 

I just got my first Sync account this month (well first since Bk - I had the prime store card when I did my Chapter 7 but it was closed with a 0 balance as part of the BK) so I’m going to wait a bit before I go for the PP MC in hopes I get a usable limit since I’ll have a working relationship with them. Then when I get the card and have it activated, I’ll look at upgrading to business for the 3%. I need to read the rest of the thread to find out about purchase protections and such but either way I don’t have a 2% card right now so the PP MC is high on the list. 

Message 248 of 409
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Question on daily debit limit:    Mine is set at $3K a day, which while it is enough nearly all the time, may be insufficient for a big purchase or tax payment.

Does this increase over time?  Is it related to the cc limit?  Or is there some way to request an increase?   

Message 249 of 409
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 3k is only "daily" if you use your pp balance. Think of it more like "3k pending" when using backup funding...

If every single charge takes 3 days to clear... Its 3000 per 3 days. On a Wednesday, til Monday. Obviously, some things take longer or shorter to clear.

No. No way to increase it. From my memory that was the maximum. However, it's possible they raised the maximum sometime in the past 2 years. I found the limit overly restricting on weekends, especially if I went out of town
Message 250 of 409
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.