cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest Visa card with no foreign transaction fees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Easiest Visa card with no foreign transaction fees?

If you make 80k a year and bank with chase, why not go in and see if you are prequalified for anything?  Also, pay for your 3 scores here.  Check prequal sites.  You could very easily get the CSP.  otherwise you can just use your current cap1 card and over pay it but youre going to be bucketed in that tier for a while. I would just google around here, im pretty confident BOA and Chase are just fine for those new to the states. The preferred rewards by BOA would be nice perhaps you could start banking with them.

Message 21 of 28
SBR249
Established Contributor

If you are a Costco member, Citi recently killed the FTF on their Costco Visa card and the rewards on that is pretty decent. But in most cases it would only really make sense if you are already a Costco member. 

If you are keen for a CU, Penfed has a 2% CB Visa with no FTF (assuming you can park $500 in their checking account) or the Plat Rewards points Visa card also with no FTF. In general, more hoops to jump through but still a pretty solid choice. 

Otherwise, the Barclay Uber Visa is also quite good, especially for dining out and traveling and solid 2% for online merchants. It also has backup chip & pin capability for unmanned kiosks which could come in handy in Europe. It's sig priority I think but I have heard good things about Barclaycard's acceptance in potentially sticky situations overseas. 

Message 22 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm an Englishman who recently moved to the US for work.

I have two secured cards, Capital One Platinum Mastercard ($200 limit) and Discover It ($200 limit). The Capital One card seems to report as unsecured, perhaps because the deposit was only $49.

I have a German unsecured Visa credit card with a 4k EUR limit.

I have no regular loans (car, mortgage, personal...). I have student loans in England.

My income is around $80k and I have some savings in a Chase account.

In two weeks I will have 6 months of history and a FICO score. CreditKarma indicates Vantage scores in the 680s.

I want a US credit card I can use to pay some GBP-denominated bills in England. It would also be useful in general because I will visit Europe and Japan a lot for business and personal reasons. The card must be a Visa because my student loans lender only accepts Visa. What is the eaisest Visa card to get that offers no foreign transaction fee? Am I likely to get it with my profile when my FICO score posts?

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies if this belongs in a different forum.

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to myFICO! welcome.gif 

I 'second' the above recommendation by @Anonymous to check with your Chase branch in-person.  Since you already bank with them and you have significant income they might be able to help out.  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 28
arkane
Established Contributor

Barclays uber visa is indeed sig priority and only uses PIN as backup. That said, I didn't run into any issues using unmanned parking kiosks in Canada -- as a matter of fact it didn't even ask for my PIN and authorised the transaction. (probably not a good thing in hindsight l...)
Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for all your help.

When my FICO score posts I will check CapOne and Chase prequalification. If I'm prequalified for a suitable card, I'll apply for it. If not, I will apply for the Chase Amazon Prime Visa and then, if unsuccessful, the CapOne Quicksilver.

I'll post an update when I know the outcome.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I travel internationally a lot and I can tell you that the best credit card for international travel is UBER Barclay visa signature card because of its chip and pin capabilities which means you can use it at self-terminal vending machines in Europe and also it has no annual fee and no foreign transactions fees and gives 4% cash back on restaurants. 

This article explains the best credit cards and ATM card for international travel. All cards mentioned in this article do not have annual fees at all.

https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/best-credit-cards-checking-account-international-travelers/

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied and was just approved for the Chase Amazon Prime card, with a $2,300 limit. My first fully unsecured card, no FTF, at least 1% cash back on everything, and Visa Signature - it ticks all my boxes. Thank you to this board for the recommendation.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news!

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.