Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest cards to get approved for

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Easiest cards to get approved for

@PointsBonus wrote:
To rebuild your credit it will cost you some annual fee - it’s just how it works -
With that being said, I would try these.

1. CreditOne bank
2. CapitalOne Platinum or QS
3. All the shopping cart tricks you can try !
It’s how I started.

I would heed caution on this approach.  Whatever may have worked for you at some point may not work for others.

OP, there are definitely very good suggestions already provided upthread.   Unless you have a need, regardless of your rebuild/build journey, be selective if you are considering any retail store cards.  The SCT is no longer what it used to be and there's no point in racking up HPs unless there's a good benefit long term.

Message 21 of 35
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, because you're pre-approved, go for the Capital One Platinum. That's a great card to start out with. Let it grow, and don't be in a rush for that second card. With a few months of history, you should be able to get another unsecured card from another good bank. I smell Discover as a possibility at that point.

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@PointsBonus wrote:
To rebuild your credit it will cost you some annual fee - it’s just how it works -

1. CreditOne bank
It’s how I started.

I would heed caution on this approach.  Whatever may have worked for you at some point may not work for others.

OP, there are definitely very good suggestions already provided upthread.   Unless you have a need, regardless of your rebuild/build journey, be selective if you are considering any retail store cards.  The SCT is no longer what it used to be and there's no point in racking up HPs unless there's a good benefit long term.

And definitely stay away from predatory lenders like Credit One or the likes if all possible, there are almost always better options.
Message 23 of 35
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

+1 FinStar

@OP,

I stayed pretty selective in my choices. I know you may have to start somewhere and eat an annual fee(?) but, after that, once your score gets a little better keep trying the pre-qual sites. As stated before...but, IMHO as well, store cards I would stay away from them. App for(when your profile and scores support it) bank cards. I only took the Fingerhut at the time for the installment benefit to add to my ‘MIX’ I STILL need a loan but, I’m not concerned with adding, just to add. I’ll add when my scores and profile support it and my finances can handle it-I think that is KEY! Just be selective and don’t app just to app. Save those Inquiries for better opportunities that’ll come up. And they will come along sooner than you know it.

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the C1 Platinum, and season it for 3-6 months while requesting CL increases.  After you've seasoned it for this time, go for a Quick Silver One and season that.  Once that's seasoned for awhile, try to upgrade it to a regular quicksilver -- if you can't upgrade, apply for the regular QS.  After a few more months you should be good to get a Discover it.  Slow and steady, don't try to get 3 cards at once.  Goal should be to get a slightly better card with each new application.  C1 subprime cards is how I got myself established.  Discover it is probably the next easiest to get once you've established a couple C1 cards.  Someone really should make a flow chart for this.

Message 25 of 35
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@PointsBonus wrote:

1. CreditOne bank
It’s how I started.

Just say NO to SCT..  Most SCT cards are now an HP at this point, and Comenty is known for getting skittish as of late... If you want a store card, thats alright, but don't expect a free ride like in the past... The days of getting a fistful or even a few SCT cards and letting them age is long gone and buried...

Using what used to be the SCT trick is BAD advice in the current credit climate..

Not worth the risk and the HPs

Reports of all cards from that creditor being closed and/or blue envelopes.... 

And its very likely that you can avoid Credit One (Credit None) all together.. The money youd spend in fees to Credit One you can find a creditor or CU that will extend you a secured card... Also another change is that its become incresingly difficult to PC from QS1 to QS.... Folks seem to have better luck getting the ole' Platinum and PCing that into a QS (the card without the fee) when the time is right.... 

Slow and steady wins the race here... as well as time and patience...

-J

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!! 26 replies! Thank you everyone for helping me out.

So I applied for Capone platinum and was approved with a $300 limit. Wasn’t expecting with my scores! Applied for QS1 on the same day but was denied. FYI there was only 1 HP for both apps (all 3 bureaus).

Took your advise and applied for discover it secured and put down $600 as suggested.

Was planning to apply for credit one but after reading all the replies, I am not going to do it. What should be my 3rd card?

Also is self lender a good option or should I try local CUs to see if they have anything available?

Thank you everyone!! really appreciate it!! 🙏

Message 27 of 35
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@PointsBonus wrote:

1. CreditOne bank
It’s how I started.

The SCT SP is dead. They all HP now proven from the thread I have on here. Died out a few months ago. OP. Stay away from SCT's. Go with the Plat from Cap1. Stay far away from the brick known as the QS1.

Message 28 of 35
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Great advices, I was not aware of the SCT bring HP, stay away from SCT if that I’d the case.

Message 29 of 35
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Congratulations, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

Capital One will approve only one card every six months. When you apply for a second card without being eligible, they'll decline without pulling your credit. The silver lining is that the QS1 isn't a good card in the first place. You're better off with the Platinum.

You have two good cards from two good banks. Definitely don't take a step backward by applying for Credit One, First Premier, Indigo, Open Sky, etc. Your next card should also come from a good bank.

Don't apply for any more cards for at least six months. The exception would be if you join a credit union and apply for one of their cards. Don't fret if you join a CU and aren't approved for a card right away. You'll likely qualify for a card in a few months.

Definitely look into self lender options. You can pull the trigger on one of those whenever you find the product that suits you. The best solution would be a share secure loan from a credit union. Ideally, it's a loan that you can pay off to 8.9% of the loan amount without shortening the term of the loan.

You might see an immediate score bump from adding these two cards. It's important to note, however, that this isn't a gift that keeps on giving. Starting with card #3 — and definitely with card #4, you're likely to see a scoring ding before your score recovers and improves. The moral of the story is not to apply for too much at once, which can cause a fairly big hit.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.