Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebates/Rakuten - Can Now Change Existing Accts to MR Earning

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Ebates/Rakuten - Can Now Change Existing Accts to MR Earning

DoC is reporting that existing Ebates/Rakuten accounts can now be converted to MR earning accounts.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ebates-you-can-now-switch-your-account-from-cash-earn-to-membership-r... 

Previously there was no direct converstion available; the old account had to be closed and a new account opened.

This could be especially interesting to existing holders of the Ebates/Rakuten Visa card.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ebates/Rakuten - Can Now Change Existing Accts to MR Earning

I'm not on the Ebates/Rakuten train, but this is a nice development for those who want the option. 
Thanks for sharing Uncle Bud! Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not on the Ebates/Rakuten train, but this is a nice development for those who want the option. 

Smiley Very Happy  hihat.gif

I "toy" with both Ebates/Rakuten and MRs, so now I'll have to decide if I want to "toy" with them merged together.  Before it was easy since I didn't want to bother with closing the old Ebates account and establishing a new one, but with that constraint removed I have some thinking to do.

I also have a pre-approval for the Ebates/Rakuten Signature Visa card, which makes the thought exercise a bit more interesting... whistle.gif

Message 3 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I "toy" with both Ebates/Rakuten and MRs, so now I'll have to decide if I want to "toy" with them merged together.  Before it was easy since I didn't want to bother with closing the old Ebates account and establishing a new one, but with that constraint removed I have some thinking to do.

I also have a pre-approval for the Ebates/Rakuten Signature Visa card, which makes the thought exercise a bit more interesting... whistle.gif

Still have my earlier question (although now more relevant!):  I have the Rakuten Visa card.   If I convert my account, will that card start earning 3MRs (+ whatever the portal rate is) if I buy through the portal?   The comments in the previous DoC thread seem unclear.

Message 4 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Still have my earlier question (although now more relevant!):  I have the Rakuten Visa card.   If I convert my account, will that card start earning 3MRs (+ whatever the portal rate is) if I buy through the portal?   The comments in the previous DoC thread seem unclear.

I can't find a definitive (reliable) answer to that, either.  I've read conflicting data points on the various blogs and boards.

While in my case it wouldn't be significant either way (my Rakuten portal spend is modest/minimal compared to many here) I admit I'm curious.

Message 5 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have the card, and I'd been thinking about it, but if I'm reading this correctly, YES, you do get the 3% PLUS whatever the portal is offering... 

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 7.50.30 PM.png

Message 6 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't find a definitive (reliable) answer to that, either.  I've read conflicting data points on the various blogs and boards.

While in my case it wouldn't be significant either way (my Rakuten portal spend is modest/minimal compared to many here) I admit I'm curious.

I found the screen above cap right on the Rakuten Visa application page.

Message 7 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have the card, and I'd been thinking about it, but if I'm reading this correctly, YES, you do get the 3% PLUS whatever the portal is offering... 

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 7.50.30 PM.png

Oh, I know for cashback you do  (so I only use the portal is 3+ % is greater than 2.25 + % on other portals).   The question is whether those percent now become MRs.    That would turn the Visa card into an MR card.  And if so, does it work outside the portal (although earning 1MR per $ isn't very special)

Message 8 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I found the screen above cap right on the Rakuten Visa application page.

Yeah, it's not the percent that's in question... what we're not sure about is if the 3% "cash back" earned by the card (alone) will also be converted to MRs. 

If so this would be interesting, since it would effectively be a Synchrony card earning American Express MR points.

Edit:  @longtimelurker beat me to it.

Message 9 of 20
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Gotcha. I thought that all cashback earned would be converted to MRs automatically. I have my account set up to earn MRs, and it still shows all your earnings in Dollars, but then they transfer my cashback as MR points to Amex. 

I was filling out an app and almost hit apply, but I may wait a bit longer for confirmation on the card earnings Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.