cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Credit Card: Do Ebay fees count towards 5x points category (or just purchases)?

tag
KublaKhan
Established Member

Ebay Credit Card: Do Ebay fees count towards 5x points category (or just purchases)?

I realize this is kind of a fringe question, but I can't seem to find the answer in Synchrony or Ebay's small print. Ebay's seller forums didn't answer the question either.

I purchase a lot of items on Ebay for resell. It behooves me to have the best cash back possible for the venue. As I understand, this is most likely Ebay's MC Rewards card (which I have). Ebay's card gives 3x points for purchases up to $1000 in a year and 5x points thereafter. The points are effectively worth $0.67. So the card is a 2%-3.5% cashback card for Ebay purchases depending on usage. My question is whether or not paying Ebay's monthly seller fees via their branded card qualifies for 5x rewards. Yeah, I realize I could just try...and I shall (and report back). However, I'm looking for some instant gratification (lest I go on a crazy app-spree).

While I'm here, I'll provide some additional data points for you fellow geeks for being polite enough to read my post.

The Ebay card's points expire after 24 months (or 12 months of no use): boooooo!

You must have 1500 points before you can redeem for $10: boooo!

Still, it's a handy cash back tool for me.

What's my limit you ask? It's $1500: One of my lowest with Synchrony and my most recent card from them. I haven't bothered them for a CLI yet. 

What are my other Sync cards and limits you ask? 

Chevron Store Card: $3,000

(I do carry several gas store cards because in California many stations charge an extra $0.10 per gallon when using Credit/Debit. This is remedied with the location's branded card. So I get $0.10 off per gallon plus the $0.03 per gallon the card gives me. At $3.00 per gallon, this is equivalent to 4.3% cashback, which I believe beats anything aside from revolving 5% categories). 

Paypal MC: 3,500 (Pretty much sock drawered. And they won't PC to the 2% Cash Back card)

Marvel MC: 5,000 (Still used for 3% off dining. Everyone loves my Iron Man card)

Lowes MC: 6,000 (5% off Lowes works for me)

Walmart: (Didn't get transferred when Cap1 bought the accounts. I'm not bothered because I usually shop Target)

The Marvel is the only one I called in for a CLI. The others are at my starting limits.

Synchrony has been reliable for me. I carried some high limits for awhile this year and now that I've aggressively paid off nearly everything, many banks have been balance chasing me in this more risk averse Covid era. My Synchrony Limits haven't went down a dollar. However, Amex Everyday Preferred CLD'd me 10,000 to 1,200. That one hurt. Chase Amazon knocked me from 5,000 to 2,400. Target went from 3,000 to 700. Barclay Rewards MC knocked me down from 5,000 to 3,500, but that was a couple years back. 

Capital One, NFCU, Sync, FirstBank MGM, Discover, and Citi have remained solid. 

Hope you've enjoyed my tangent, even if you can't answer my question. But I do hope someone knows the answer to my 5x Ebay Rewards points question, lol. 

FICO Scores: TU08: 674 | FAKO EQ: 745 |

Barclaycard Rewards: ($5000) , Capital One QuickSilverOne ($7250), Capital One Secured ($750), Discover It ($3000), PayPal Extras ($3000), Lowes ($6000), Marvel ($5000), Target ($5000), GM Buypower ($1300), Kohls ($2000), Walmart ($1450), Mobil ($1000), Chevron ($850), Valero ($300), Emblem Card ($250)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Re: Ebay Credit Card: Do Ebay fees count towards 5x points category (or just purchases)?

@KublaKhan wrote:

I realize this is kind of a fringe question, but I can't seem to find the answer in Synchrony or Ebay's small print. Ebay's seller forums didn't answer the question either.

I purchase a lot of items on Ebay for resell. It behooves me to have the best cash back possible for the venue. As I understand, this is most likely Ebay's MC Rewards card (which I have). Ebay's card gives 3x points for purchases up to $1000 in a year and 5x points thereafter. The points are effectively worth $0.67. So the card is a 2%-3.5% cashback card for Ebay purchases depending on usage. My question is whether or not paying Ebay's monthly seller fees via their branded card qualifies for 5x rewards. Yeah, I realize I could just try...and I shall (and report back). However, I'm looking for some instant gratification (lest I go on a crazy app-spree).

Hello @KublaKhan ,

Unfortunately, no, seller fees fall under everything else (1x). Very disappointing. Smiley Sad 

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.