Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edp MR points vs. Freedom UR

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Edp MR points vs. Freedom UR

After the birth of our child 3yrs ago and our other child 19 months my wife left her job to be a stay at home mom.  She is planning on going back to work not for monetary reasons but she wants to get back in the work force as an Architect which was always her plan and doesn't want to have such a large employment gap. 

My youngest will be going to daycare which will run about $1600 a month.  We found out the the daycare accepts CC payments.

I have both the EDP and CSP and Freedom and Chase checking so I will discount the CSP because of the 10% bonus on the freedom.

Out of the two cards which do you value more?  Assuming I make the 30 swipes per month on the EDP.

I know each persons situation is different but I am interested in hearing different responses on why they value one over the other and why?

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Edp MR points vs. Freedom UR

I value UR a lot more since I have the Chase Freedom, Chase checking , CSP , CS for now and Chase Marriott premier card. So all the points will be either CB at certain times or going to my Marriott rewards account 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 86
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

After the birth of our child 3yrs ago and our other child 19 months my wife left her job to be a stay at home mom.  She is planning on going back to work not for monetary reasons but she wants to get back in the work force as an Architect which was always her plan and doesn't want to have such a large employment gap. 

My youngest will be going to daycare which will run about $1600 a month.  We found out the the daycare accepts CC payments.

I have both the EDP and CSP and Freedom and Chase checking so I will discount the CSP because of the 10% bonus on the freedom.

Out of the two cards which do you value more?  Assuming I make the 30 swipes per month on the EDP.

I know each persons situation is different but I am interested in hearing different responses on why they value one over the other and why?

I think that "general" wisdom, ranks UR a little higher than MR (and sometimes  you see SPG>UR>MR, and now we have to add TYP!) but it REALLY depends on what airlines/hotels you will use.  So if MR partners serve your local airports and UR don't (or more likely much less frequently) any theoretical advantage of UR is diminished.

And look at what it takes in redemptions, you will be earning 2400 MR a month vs 1,760 UR.

Message 3 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

I think that "general" wisdom, ranks UR a little higher than MR (and sometimes  you see SPG>UR>MR, and now we have to add TYP!) but it REALLY depends on what airlines/hotels you will use.  So if MR partners serve your local airports and UR don't (or more likely much less frequently) any theoretical advantage of UR is diminished.

And look at what it takes in redemptions, you will be earning 2400 MR a month vs 1,760 UR.

Its all about the partners imo. MR for hotels you have hilton UR you have Hyatt and to lesser extent marriot. Marriots i don't like as much because of the HORRIBLE redemption values, but i am sure others will disagree with me on marriot usage. I guess it would be ok to use it if you have marriot card, but not for me:-) 

You should also look at the airline partners compare the two which you would use more. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 86
Open123
Super Contributor

As Lurker has observed, in general, the points value hiearchy is SPG > UR > MR.  Personally, I find all three useful and make an effort to accrue points in all of them.  

If it's just between MR and URs, here's what I've found to be true.

1.  For MR redemptions - SQ, ANA and Cathay business class redemptions offer a pretty good value, if you fly to SE Asia.  Also, transferring to BA and booking AA domestic flights usually offer a pretty decent value too.  For hotel redemptions, there isn't really anything compelling.  With Amex, if you prefer hotel points, go with SPG.

2.  For UR redemptions - UA, Hyatt and BA (for AA flights).  While there has been some devaluation, transferring points to these three will still get you some pretty good value, especially if done prudently.

If it's point for point, I'd say UR points are more valuable than MR points, all things being equal.  However, at 1.5 for the EDP, assuming you're going to pay the annual fee and can make the 30 swipe per month (which isn't hard, just pay your cell phone bill once per day), MRs are more valuable.  The 50% bonus is hard to overcome.  I'd even take the 50% bonus on MR over a single SPG point.

For me, with MRs, I'll use to transfer to wherever I'm short a few points.  For example, when there's a BA or Virgin bonus, I'll transfer some MRs.  Or, if I'm short some HA miles, I'll transfer some MRs.  But mostly, I use them for premium cabin seats on the SE Asian routes through SQ or Cathay.

That's my take.  I'd recommend going with the 50% MR bonus.  Eventhough URs may be a more valuable currency, it's isn't enough to overcome the 50% MR point bonus, which is quite significant.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 86
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

As Lurker has observed, in general, the points value hiearchy is SPG > UR > MR.  Personally, I find all three useful and make an effort to accrue points in all of them.  

1.  For MR redemptions - SQ, ANA and Cathay business class redemptions offer a pretty good value, if you fly to SE Asia.  Also, transferring to BA and booking AA domestic flights usually offer a pretty decent value too.  For hotel redemptions, there isn't really anything compelling.  With Amex, if you prefer hotel points, go with SPG.

2.  For UR redemptions - UA, Hyatt and BA (for AA flights).  While there has been some devaluation, transferring points to these three will still get you some pretty good value, especially if done prudently.

If it's point for point, I'd say UR points are more valuable than MR points, all things being equal.  However, at 1.5 for the EDP, assuming you're going to pay the annual fee and can make the 30 swipe per month (which isn't hard, just pay your cell phone bill once per day), MRs are more valuable.  The 50% bonus is hard to overcome.  I'd even take the 50% bonus on MR over a single SPG point.

For me, with MRs, I'll use to transfer to wherever I'm short a few points.  For example, when there's a BA or Virgin bonus, I'll transfer some MRs.  Or, if I'm short some HA miles, I'll transfer some MRs.  But mostly, I use them for premium cabin seats on the SE Asian routes through SQ or Cathay.

That's my take.  I'd recommend going with the 50% MR bonus.  Eventhough URs may be a more valuable currency, it's isn't enough to overcome the 50% MR point bonus, which is quite significant.

Good luck!

Thanks that is what I was looking for someone's personal take on it to just get their viewpoint even if it's just their viewpoint.  In that regards there can be no wrong answer.  If they were in my shoes which would they prefer based on their own needs. 

Message 6 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

I agree for the most part SPG>UR>MR , but the thing about that is there is no bonus spend really for spg cards like there are say for INK cards or PRG/EDP. I would think its not as easy to accumulate SPG points as it is for UR and MR points.

I am still trying to figure out how to best use UR points. Short domestic trips via avios could be good use, even an quick flight to bermuda wouldn't be bad its 15k RT on economy. There was an deal with SQ an while ago flying to Maui from JFK for 35k econ or 60k for business RT. Those are some pretty good deals. 

Message 7 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

Great post. I have points in SPG/UR and MR. I cringe when I see people using URs to get cashback. It defeats the purpose of having a card like the CSP! SPG points are useful (i'm asctually using my spg signup to top off my AA account so I can fly first to Asia), but they are much much harder to earn. MRs are harder to earn via signup offers compared to the URs from chase but with the new amex card if you can get that 50% bonus you should be able to earn at a decent rate. 2014 is mostly geared towards UR points for me, but I think 2015 once I get that new amex card will have me doing a lot more serious earning in the MR category. As always its good to gather points in multiple programs as well as a cash redemption card like venture or barclays etc.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

I agree for the most part SPG>UR>MR , but the thing about that is there is no bonus spend really for spg cards like there are say for INK cards or PRG/EDP. I would think its not as easy to accumulate SPG points as it is for UR and MR points.

I am still trying to figure out how to best use UR points. Short domestic trips via avios could be good use, even an quick flight to bermuda wouldn't be bad its 15k RT on economy. There was an deal with SQ an while ago flying to Maui from JFK for 35k econ or 60k for business RT. Those are some pretty good deals. 

Those are some good deals. I was saving my UR points for Hyatts stays for the most part as I have a bunch of AA miles saved up, but I may use some for short hop flights as well. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

Those are some good deals. I was saving my UR points for Hyatts stays for the most part as I have a bunch of AA miles saved up, but I may use some for short hop flights as well. 

The problem i find with hyatt their international presence isn't the greatest. I was looking at St Thomas or Grand Cayman Islands i don't think hyatt has any hotels in either of those places. 

On an unrelated topic i am still waiting on PRG 50k offer i am thinking of doing PRG/Delta for my next two amex cards. That new delta public offer looks pretty nice. Once my PRG reaches time to pay AF i may go for either ED or EDP to use for grocery and gas spend possibly. Not 100% sure what i wanna do. 

Message 10 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.