tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Edp MR points vs. Freedom UR

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

As Lurker has observed, in general, the points value hiearchy is SPG > UR > MR.  Personally, I find all three useful and make an effort to accrue points in all of them.  

If it's just between MR and URs, here's what I've found to be true.

1.  For MR redemptions - SQ, ANA and Cathay business class redemptions offer a pretty good value, if you fly to SE Asia.  Also, transferring to BA and booking AA domestic flights usually offer a pretty decent value too.  For hotel redemptions, there isn't really anything compelling.  With Amex, if you prefer hotel points, go with SPG.

2.  For UR redemptions - UA, Hyatt and BA (for AA flights).  While there has been some devaluation, transferring points to these three will still get you some pretty good value, especially if done prudently.

If it's point for point, I'd say UR points are more valuable than MR points, all things being equal.  However, at 1.5 for the EDP, assuming you're going to pay the annual fee and can make the 30 swipe per month (which isn't hard, just pay your cell phone bill once per day), MRs are more valuable.  The 50% bonus is hard to overcome.  I'd even take the 50% bonus on MR over a single SPG point.

For me, with MRs, I'll use to transfer to wherever I'm short a few points.  For example, when there's a BA or Virgin bonus, I'll transfer some MRs.  Or, if I'm short some HA miles, I'll transfer some MRs.  But mostly, I use them for premium cabin seats on the SE Asian routes through SQ or Cathay.

That's my take.  I'd recommend going with the 50% MR bonus.  Eventhough URs may be a more valuable currency, it's isn't enough to overcome the 50% MR point bonus, which is quite significant.

Good luck!

I agree for the most part SPG>UR>MR , but the thing about that is there is no bonus spend really for spg cards like there are say for INK cards or PRG/EDP. I would think its not as easy to accumulate SPG points as it is for UR and MR points.

I am still trying to figure out how to best use UR points. Short domestic trips via avios could be good use, even an quick flight to bermuda wouldn't be bad its 15k RT on economy. There was an deal with SQ an while ago flying to Maui from JFK for 35k econ or 60k for business RT. Those are some pretty good deals. 

Those are some good deals. I was saving my UR points for Hyatts stays for the most part as I have a bunch of AA miles saved up, but I may use some for short hop flights as well. 

The problem i find with hyatt their international presence isn't the greatest. I was looking at St Thomas or Grand Cayman Islands i don't think hyatt has any hotels in either of those places. 

On an unrelated topic i am still waiting on PRG 50k offer i am thinking of doing PRG/Delta for my next two amex cards. That new delta public offer looks pretty nice. Once my PRG reaches time to pay AF i may go for either ED or EDP to use for grocery and gas spend possibly. Not 100% sure what i wanna do. 

Yes Hyatt's smaller footprint is an issue. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

As Lurker has observed, in general, the points value hiearchy is SPG > UR > MR.  Personally, I find all three useful and make an effort to accrue points in all of them.  

1.  For MR redemptions - SQ, ANA and Cathay business class redemptions offer a pretty good value, if you fly to SE Asia.  Also, transferring to BA and booking AA domestic flights usually offer a pretty decent value too.  For hotel redemptions, there isn't really anything compelling.  With Amex, if you prefer hotel points, go with SPG.

2.  For UR redemptions - UA, Hyatt and BA (for AA flights).  While there has been some devaluation, transferring points to these three will still get you some pretty good value, especially if done prudently.

If it's point for point, I'd say UR points are more valuable than MR points, all things being equal.  However, at 1.5 for the EDP, assuming you're going to pay the annual fee and can make the 30 swipe per month (which isn't hard, just pay your cell phone bill once per day), MRs are more valuable.  The 50% bonus is hard to overcome.  I'd even take the 50% bonus on MR over a single SPG point.

For me, with MRs, I'll use to transfer to wherever I'm short a few points.  For example, when there's a BA or Virgin bonus, I'll transfer some MRs.  Or, if I'm short some HA miles, I'll transfer some MRs.  But mostly, I use them for premium cabin seats on the SE Asian routes through SQ or Cathay.

That's my take.  I'd recommend going with the 50% MR bonus.  Eventhough URs may be a more valuable currency, it's isn't enough to overcome the 50% MR point bonus, which is quite significant.

Good luck!

I agree for the most part SPG>UR>MR , but the thing about that is there is no bonus spend really for spg cards like there are say for INK cards or PRG/EDP. I would think its not as easy to accumulate SPG points as it is for UR and MR points.

I am still trying to figure out how to best use UR points. Short domestic trips via avios could be good use, even an quick flight to bermuda wouldn't be bad its 15k RT on economy. There was an deal with SQ an while ago flying to Maui from JFK for 35k econ or 60k for business RT. Those are some pretty good deals. 

Those are some good deals. I was saving my UR points for Hyatts stays for the most part as I have a bunch of AA miles saved up, but I may use some for short hop flights as well. 

The problem i find with hyatt their international presence isn't the greatest. I was looking at St Thomas or Grand Cayman Islands i don't think hyatt has any hotels in either of those places. 

On an unrelated topic i am still waiting on PRG 50k offer i am thinking of doing PRG/Delta for my next two amex cards. That new delta public offer looks pretty nice. Once my PRG reaches time to pay AF i may go for either ED or EDP to use for grocery and gas spend possibly. Not 100% sure what i wanna do. 

That is main issue with MR and UR based cards, the choice of hotels isn't the greatest in the world . MR has hilton but hilton points are not valued the best and UR has Hyatt , but presence isn't the best. I wouldn't use UR points for marriot because the value is just horrendous. I think its actually less than 1 to 1. What do you do for hotels? I was thikning of picking up something like arrival+ or something. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

That is main issue with MR and UR based cards, the choice of hotels isn't the greatest in the world . MR has hilton but hilton points are not valued the best and UR has Hyatt , but presence isn't the best. I wouldn't use UR points for marriot because the value is just horrendous. I think its actually less than 1 to 1. What do you do for hotels? I was thikning of picking up something like arrival+ or something. 

For domestic travel I heard the SPG card is decent. I'm using my poijnts towards AA, but apparently doing the points with cash thing is a decent deal. actually if yuour using points then FTF isn't an issue so the points work international too. 

;
Message 13 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

For domestic travel I heard the SPG card is decent. I'm using my poijnts towards AA, but apparently doing the points with cash thing is a decent deal. actually if yuour using points then FTF isn't an issue so the points work international too. 

I can be patient with SPG card. i want to wait and see if i could snag a 35k offer or something like that for SPG. Just want to make sure i get best value for signup bonus , since it seems to be 1 and done with amex as far as signup bonuses go with one card.

What are you doing for cross country flights since most are 25k no matter what airline you use ? I was thinking of doing with UR virgin atlantic to virgin america since they are probably one of the best domestic airlines out there. 

Message 14 of 86
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

I can be patient with SPG card. i want to wait and see if i could snag a 35k offer or something like that for SPG. Just want to make sure i get best value for signup bonus , since it seems to be 1 and done with amex as far as signup bonuses go with one card.

What are you doing for cross country flights since most are 25k no matter what airline you use ? I was thinking of doing with UR virgin atlantic to virgin america since they are probably one of the best domestic airlines out there. 

Haven't looked into cross country flights recently in terms of using miles. You can get kjfk/lax flights for around $330 RT depending on day of week etc and earn miles with the airline if you use a barclays. If you use 25k UR points you would be getting less than .02 back in value. The price of flying NY to Bermuda is about the same! cash wise, so the points are a much better play there. 

;
Message 15 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Good luck!

Haven't looked into cross country flights recently in terms of using miles. You can get kjfk/lax flights for around $330 RT depending on day of week etc and earn miles with the airline if you use a barclays. If you use 25k UR points you would be getting less than .02 back in value. The price of flying NY to Bermuda is about the same! cash wise, so the points are a much better play there. 

Yea cross country to lax or las seems like paying "cash" may be better option. That is unfortunate. 

Message 16 of 86
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Errr glancing at the  point system it seems a bit higher then less then 1 to 1. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 17 of 86
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I like Open's point with trying to accrue Points in each one SPG,UR,MR.  It seems correct me if I am wrong but all three can be converted to Avios which in turn is accept by AA but then AA flights tend to be so much higher than other airlines is I feel that while you get a expensive flight on points that same flight might be 50% cheaper on another airline.  So you lose what you just gained.  The only problem with flying using Avios I see is unless you use another airline that takes Avios points is flying international using BA Or Virgin is horrible because of the ridiculously high fuel surcharge.  I do like the fact the with the new EDP you can accrue points faster.

Is the conventional wisdom that SPG is rank higher is because it has a much larger transfer partner base?  Getting points seems so difficult though.

From reading the post is seems that domestic and special get you the most bang for your buck.

Message 18 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Errr glancing at the  point system it seems a bit higher then less then 1 to 1. 

I think most people value it at less than one but I guess it depends how you redeem it. When I was looking at hotels in Thailand. Would only be getting .7-.8 which is worse than using to buy with points through ur portal at 1.25?

Message 19 of 86
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott New York Brooklyn

181 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY, US, 11217

From 15,214 Points
Avg. per night 
or  $190.17

Much better to buy from UR portal then transfering to a Marriott rewards account because that same room is 30,000 points but for $Cash calue is cheaper at $149 on Marriott's website 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 20 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.