Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Educate ME: Subprime vs. Prime

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Educate ME: Subprime vs. Prime

What is the difference? My last few cards that I applied for have prime rates, which I am not really enjoying lol. The current PR is 8.25% right? And they usually add that PR w/ the other part and it usually adds up to between 10-20% variable rate. I read the def for prime rate somewhere and it says that banks only charge that to their "best" or creditworthy customers. Is that true? I don't really understand this... at all. :-x ... And what is sub prime?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Educate ME: Subprime vs. Prime

SubPrime is higher risk. Banks such as Cap1, target people that probably won't be able to pay in full. They charge higher interest rates and sometimes, more than not, charge annual or monthly fees to have the card. Subprime cards generally have credit lines around $200-$500. Most of the time a person with better credit would not choose to get a card with an annual fee and a credit line of $200.

Prime is lower risk. These banks give higher credit lines to start because they feel you have earned it. These credit lines can be anything from $500 up to $200,000 and up. The interest rates are lower. Most of the time a person with lower credit scores would not be approved for prime cards until they have established them selves.

These rules don't always apply. Generally subprime is high interest, prime low interest. Some banks offer prime and subprime. Such as Cap1. Be careful, their prime cards might be seen as subprime because the main focus of the bank is subprime.

Another thing is subprime banks make more money on fees and interest and prime banks make more on transactions.
Message 2 of 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Educate ME: Subprime vs. Prime

The Capital One card I just closed had a 5K limit with a 14.29% APR. AF was waived. $59 yearly. I had this card for over 4 years and was never going to get any meaningful increases on the credit line. This was sub prime. I have prime cards with lower limits and slightly higher APR. The line between sub prime and prime is blurry. Keep the cards long enough and you see the difference.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.