cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of always paying off a new card to zero every month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect of always paying off a new card to zero every month?

Assuming you already have a couple other cards and one is always paid to zero and the other paid to a low utilization....

And you get a new card.....  Does it affect your score positively or negatively, if you use the new card, but always pay it to zero by the due date?  Is it better to let there be some record of carrying a small balance at least one time? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of always paying off a new card to zero every month?

Supposedly the best result is:

All cards at 0 balance except 1 with 9% utility or less on that individual card, which make your overall util close to 1% most likely and that condition gives you the highest possible credit score at that time, "Allegedly" YMMV

Message 2 of 8
Chris679
Established Contributor

FICO has no memory when it comes to utilization.  It is a snapshot of what your credit report looks like at that very moment so previous balances have no impact assuming you paid on time. 

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Assuming you already have a couple other cards and one is always paid to zero and the other paid to a low utilization....

And you get a new card.....  Does it affect your score positively or negatively, if you use the new card, but always pay it to zero by the due date?  Is it better to let there be some record of carrying a small balance at least one time? 

Point of clarification, Are you letting the statement report a balance, and then paying that balance to zero by the payment due date printed on the statement,

Or are you referring to paying all new charges before they even have a chance to report on the statement, statement balance = zero?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Point of clarification, Are you letting the statement report a balance, and then paying that balance to zero by the payment due date printed on the statement,

Or are you referring to paying all new charges before they even have a chance to report on the statement, statement balance = zero?

I'm not sure I understand your question.   I get a due date for each card.  So the 10th for example.   On 10th, every month, I pay it to zero.  I'm mostly wondering if it looks like I don't use the card, since the ballance to the bureaus would always be zero. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I understand your question.   I get a due date for each card.  So the 10th for example.   On 10th, every month, I pay it to zero.  I'm mostly wondering if it looks like I don't use the card, since the ballance to the bureaus would always be zero. 

There is a difference between "due date" and "statement end date"

What ever is not paid by the "statement end date" is reported as the balance on your card in most cases versus the "due date" is just the date you have to pay that balance before you are considered late.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The idea of showing 10% utilization or less is overrated.  There are plenty of people who let balances report, and then PIF the balances.  Chase is one of those lenders that re-reports a zero balance mid-cycle if you PIF on their cards.  There might be a few others that do also.  If you aren't desparate for more and more credit, then showing 10% or less matters very little. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a difference between "due date" and "statement end date"

What ever is not paid by the "statement end date" is reported as the balance on your card in most cases versus the "due date" is just the date you have to pay that balance before you are considered late.

To be clear if your

Statement end date or the day the BILL is cut is the 10th

and your DUE DATE  might be say the 25th (giving you your GRACE PERIOD)

If you pay by the DUE DATE you are fine and you have met the requiement for an 'on-time' payment.

However, in most cases the BALANCE that was displayed to you on the 10th is the number that is reported as

your Debt/CL ratio

meaning that although you PIF by the 25th...it doesn't CHANGE the fact that on the RECORDING DAY your ratio

was whatever it was...this issue 'confuses' more ppl than ever.

Because it makes 'sense' why one would 'think' .....well I PIF every month I 'should' look GREAT in the eyes of the CRA's

however it's not a daily running tab...for most it's a ONCE-A-MONTH snapshot of RIGHT NOW and the cameras donm't come back til

next month (a 'few' vendors do 'mid-cycle reporting but NOT enought to count on it).

This isn't a BIG deal, as long s you 'uinderstand' how the 'refs' are calling the game...knowing the rules allows you to ADJUST...during periods where

optimal scoring is needed (like when apping for new credit).....knowing exactly how it works also 'calms' folks down from freaking out from one month to the next based upon HOW MUCH debt was reported 'that' month because you know 'next month' will recover...no fuss no muss.....

*Remember if you want to manipulate the scoring in your favor you DUMP your debt on the day after the statement cuts (because remember the camera is off til next month) then you pay it down before the next PICTURE taking day and your good...it's all a matter of TIMING.

But as another poster said on the month by month basis...these stuff can be overstated....

Lot's of stuff has to do with

Where you are within a credit rebuild

How mature is your file

Are you trying for new credit, soon

Some of this stuff is 'nice' to know stuff and some is too much info and NOT that hugea deal for others depending on their needs per se

Sort like a guy searching for a wife might take more heed to certain things than a guy that has had one for 45 years...yeah he 'hears' 'ya but it ain't quite the same for him Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.