Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan Financial Services - Nonbranded

tag
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Elan Financial Services - Nonbranded

Who else around here has an Elan card that isn't branded with anything? My card (which is on the AMEX network) was previously through a local bank, but that bank was bought out and the buyer didn't keep them as an issuer. So now my card just has "Elan" on it and is kind of just sitting there in my drawer. On that note, has anybody product changed Elan cards? The entire (probably) portfolio can be viewed online and I see there are other cards that are on AMEX that are more appealing than the dinky 3% gas/2% grocery benefit that I have now. Just wanted to see if others have similar experiences.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Elan Financial Services - Nonbranded

Elan is the retial side of US Bank.  They're simply a servicing branch of USB kind of like Sync does a bunch of different retailers.

Chances of PC'ing from a non-bank backed card you have to something with another bank w/ different benefits would likely result in a new account and HP.  

Similar to swapping your Gold to a Revolver... it can't be done.  It would require closing the existing and opening a new one because they're totally different types of accounts.  In this instance though it would be like asking Chase to issue you a Cash+.

Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dinky 3%,2% is better than no rewardsSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 15
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@icednightpaper wrote:

Who else around here has an Elan card that isn't branded with anything? My card (which is on the AMEX network) was previously through a local bank, but that bank was bought out and the buyer didn't keep them as an issuer. So now my card just has "Elan" on it and is kind of just sitting there in my drawer. On that note, has anybody product changed Elan cards? The entire (probably) portfolio can be viewed online and I see there are other cards that are on AMEX that are more appealing than the dinky 3% gas/2% grocery benefit that I have now. Just wanted to see if others have similar experiences.

Why isn't this card in your signature? How many other cards do you have that are not in your signature?

As someone else said, Elan is (was?) owned by US Bank. I know that US Bank was looking to sell Elan. But to your question; I have never heard of just a plain Elan card. Looks like Elan did not want to lose a customer simply because the the bank was absorbed by a better bank that was bank enough to issue their own cards. 

Message 4 of 15
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

@Obscure-Expert

I am aware that US Bank owns Elan (even had to go to a branch for fraud once!), and I get what you're saying. I mean though, I am wondering about product changing one Elan product to another, see example chart here: https://www.elanfinancialservices.com/credit-card/card-member-benefit.html

As well as product types here: https://card.myaccountaccess.com/credit/benefits.do

@AverageJoesCredit

You're definitely not wrong, I came off a little too snooty there!

@BearsCubsOffers

Here's my card: unnamed.png

I do have all of my cards in my signature, Elan is in the text line below the images because I couldn't quickly find a suitable plain pic on Google. Although I could technically add this one if I wanted to now Smiley Indifferent

Message 5 of 15
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

My Florida Community Bank/Elan card started out as a simple platinum card and I PC'd it to the 1.5% card and upgraded it to Signature no problem. I've gotten 2 auto SP CLI's ($2500 each) in the 3 years I've had the card.  

Nothing special, but for the little bit I've used this card it's been solid.

Message 6 of 15
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

My DH has two unbranded Elan cards, with ridiculously high limits in terms of his income.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 15
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Are they still owned by US Bank?

They seem to be frequent issuer of credit/debit cards branded by regional/local banks.

My Elan card is actually branded with my current primary bank.  That bank purchased a smaller bank network (that I was a member of) that also used Elan as the issuer.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 8 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Dalmus wrote:

Are they still owned by US Bank?

They seem to be frequent issuer of credit/debit cards branded by regional/local banks.

My Elan card is actually branded with my current primary bank.  That bank purchased a smaller bank network (that I was a member of) that also used Elan as the issuer.

Yes.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icednightpaper wrote:

i'M in a similar situation.  I had my card issued by a small local bank (commerce bank new england).  it was an elan financial card and AMEX card.  Berkshire bank bought them out.  it is now berkshire bank amex but its through elan financial services

is this still considered AMEX or is Elan a different thing all together?  i see alot of people here talk about amex not sure if this card is under that umbrella

would love to upgrade it to a new product

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.