Did you mean: 

Elan Financial Services - Nonbranded

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Elan Financial Services - Nonbranded

@Anonymous wrote:

@icednightpaper wrote:

Who else around here has an Elan card that isn't branded with anything? My card (which is on the AMEX network) was previously through a local bank, but that bank was bought out and the buyer didn't keep them as an issuer. So now my card just has "Elan" on it and is kind of just sitting there in my drawer. On that note, has anybody product changed Elan cards? The entire (probably) portfolio can be viewed online and I see there are other cards that are on AMEX that are more appealing than the dinky 3% gas/2% grocery benefit that I have now. Just wanted to see if others have similar experiences.

i'M in a similar situation.  I had my card issued by a small local bank (commerce bank new england).  it was an elan financial card and AMEX card.  Berkshire bank bought them out.  it is now berkshire bank amex but its through elan financial services

is this still considered AMEX or is Elan a different thing all together?  i see alot of people here talk about amex not sure if this card is under that umbrella

would love to upgrade it to a new product

In this case, your card is only on the Amex payment network.  American Express otherwise has nothing to do with your card.  Just think of it like a Visa or MasterCard logo on your other cards.  Any upgrades would be up to the card issuer, Berkshire Bank.

Message 11 of 15
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@icednightpaper wrote:

Who else around here has an Elan card that isn't branded with anything? My card (which is on the AMEX network) was previously through a local bank, but that bank was bought out and the buyer didn't keep them as an issuer. So now my card just has "Elan" on it and is kind of just sitting there in my drawer. On that note, has anybody product changed Elan cards? The entire (probably) portfolio can be viewed online and I see there are other cards that are on AMEX that are more appealing than the dinky 3% gas/2% grocery benefit that I have now. Just wanted to see if others have similar experiences.

i'M in a similar situation.  I had my card issued by a small local bank (commerce bank new england).  it was an elan financial card and AMEX card.  Berkshire bank bought them out.  it is now berkshire bank amex but its through elan financial services

is this still considered AMEX or is Elan a different thing all together?  i see alot of people here talk about amex not sure if this card is under that umbrella

would love to upgrade it to a new product

In this case, your card is only on the Amex payment network.  American Express otherwise has nothing to do with your card.  Just think of it like a Visa or MasterCard logo on your other cards.  Any upgrades would be up to the card issuer, Berkshire Bank.

Actually, Elan handles the upgrades regardless of the bank name on the front of the card. If a bank discontinues using Elan for their credit card services, your account stays with Elan and just becomes an Elan Visa/MC/Amex with the same rewards structure.

Call the number on the back of your card and ask for a PC. Mine was Visa to Visa and was simple. I don't think going Amex to Visa would be a problem, but I can't say for sure. Let us know!

Message 12 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Actually, Elan handles the upgrades regardless of the bank name on the front of the card. If a bank discontinues using Elan for their credit card services, your account stays with Elan and just becomes an Elan Visa/MC/Amex with the same rewards structure.

Call the number on the back of your card and ask for a PC. Mine was Visa to Visa and was simple. I don't think going Amex to Visa would be a problem, but I can't say for sure. Let us know!

If Elan handles the card, certainly.  I didn't realize the partnering banks weren't actually servicing their own cards if they're partnered with Elan.  I meant it more in the sense of you wouldn't call Visa if you needed to discuss your Chase card product with a Visa logo.

Message 13 of 15
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If Elan handles the card, certainly.  I didn't realize the partnering banks weren't actually servicing their own cards if they're partnered with Elan.  I meant it more in the sense of you wouldn't call Visa if you needed to discuss your Chase card product with a Visa logo.

Yeah, Elan essentially takes 97% of the credit card handling over regardless of the FI named on the front. AFAIK, the named FI can accept payments and I read someplace that they can make a *recommendation* for approval to Elan based on the customers relationship with the named FI. In the end, Elan makes the decisions and puts up the capital behind the cards. I believe the named FI's get a small percentage from what their cards earn.

Elan seems pretty easy going for being a part of US Bank. Easy PC's and I believe CLI's are SP up to a certain limit. (Both of mine were auto.) Of course, USB's CC offerings are more lucrative though.

Message 14 of 15
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

Yeah, Elan essentially takes 97% of the credit card handling over regardless of the FI named on the front. AFAIK, the named FI can accept payments and I read someplace that they can make a *recommendation* for approval to Elan based on the customers relationship with the named FI. In the end, Elan makes the decisions and puts up the capital behind the cards. I believe the named FI's get a small percentage from what their cards earn.

Elan seems pretty easy going for being a part of US Bank. Easy PC's and I believe CLI's are SP up to a certain limit. (Both of mine were auto.) Of course, USB's CC offerings are more lucrative though.

While I no longer have my Elan card (closed since I created this thread, for lack of need), I requested CLI twice and they were both HP. I received one auto in four years of having it. I will say though, it was nice to have both US Bank and Elan cards since they offer the same BT promos, so if one card didn't have it, the other might've.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.