Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan financial gave me a $1 credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elan financial gave me a $1 credit

I received a letter in the mail that my card would be closed if I didn't use it, so I bought a $1 Amazon gift card for myself and redeemed it.  Several days later I noticed a $1 credit from Elan, my balance was cleared and I received 2 reward points.

Should I still be worried that my card may be closed?  It has over 4 years of credit history, but I have better cards to use.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Elan financial gave me a $1 credit

It's pretty common for banks to write off very small balances. BofA is infamous for doing this on the BBR. (On this retired product, cardholders got $25 or $30 each quarter for making a given payment each month. Some have reported getting credits of almost $10. If there's no payment needed, they don't pay the quarterly bonus.)

If your card sees other usage, I wouldn't worry. If not, it's good to put at least one decent charge through regularly. Every year will keep most cards open, but don't be surprised if you get CLD'd.

Edit: Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Hi and welcome to the forums 

Have you called them and asked about the status? 

I dont think anyone here is going to be able to answer your question Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some cards credit balances under $5 as a courtesy.  Maybe use it for something a bit more?  Otherwise it's a gamble on whether they will still close it.  Usually in my book at least it has to generate a statement to be considered activity.

When in doubt you can setup Amazon for the auto-reload option for $X to keep things active or setup a reminder to do it yourself.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies, I was just wondering if someone had dealt with a situation like this.  I'll make another purchase to make sure it's not closed.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of us have dealt with it with other lenders.  It's hard to specifically say because ELAN is a SERVICER branch of US Bank that provides cards to smaller FI's like CU's and smaller Banks.  Just to be on the safe side put a little bit of spend that doesn't get cancelled out and you should be good unless they made a final decision to not renew the card for non-use.

Message 6 of 21
Kforce
Valued Contributor

They write off up to $1.

At least on my two FNBO cards.

$2 would post.

Message 7 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Using a $1 to try and ward off card closure doesnt show you really want to keep the card lol. If i were the bsnk and i gave that letter and then received a $1 purchase well , being a bank......Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 21
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Use the card or close it

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 21
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

Use the card or close it

Now I understand your forum name !

However, I agree with you.

No need to keep a card that does not fit your needs.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.