Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

tag
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

I love this time of year! Credit card companies compete with each other to grab shares of our holiday spend by dangling special offers. It's nice to get 10x points on gas from Chase, $10 back on $50 of retail spend from US Bank, and an extra 2% back on everything from BofA

But Elan outdid them all with this targeted offer I received today on my Max Cash Preferred card, via email:

Elan Offer 1000 for 75.JPG

I know what you're thinking: does that mean 1,000 points? I don't see how it can; the Max Cash Preferred doesn't earn points. It earns cash. I don't see any way to interpret it other than meaning $1,000 cash back.

I quickly executed four online transactions totaling more than $75. Now, I wait to see if they will honor the offer. Anyone want to make a prediction about that?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Elan Offer 1000 for 75.JPG

I know what you're thinking: does that mean 1,000 points? I don't see how it can; the Max Cash Preferred doesn't earn points. It earns cash. I don't see any way to interpret it other than meaning $1,000 cash back.

I think you have very high hopes. Smiley LOL

Other Elan cards like the Everyday Rewards do use points at 1 point = 1 cent valuation.

Message 2 of 42
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

More like spend $300 or more get $10 back. Not spend $300 get $1000 CB. Everybody and their mother would be running for that deal.

Message 3 of 42
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I hope you got lots of screenshots of said offer!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 42
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Suddenly, I feel a need for an Elan backed card....

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 5 of 42
-Wright-
Valued Member

I got the same offer except my spend is $300. But it simply doesnt make any sense; Spend $300 and get $1,000 back. And I noticed that the 1,000 was missing the dollar sign in the email. I don't know. I'll do a $300 Amazon reload and see what happens. 

Message 6 of 42
MySunrise271
Established Contributor

I received a similar offer on my Fidelity rewards cc. I'm already enrolled to earn 1k reward points when I shop online and spend $300 or more by Dec 31.Also have an offer to receive up to $10 in reward points when I shop with Pay Pal. $5 when I use Pay Pal using my Fidelity card in Nov and another when I use it in Dec.

Message 7 of 42
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I see the employee that Ok'd that email's wording not having a good holiday season  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 42
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

More like spend $300 or more get $10 back. Not spend $300 get $1000 CB. Everybody and their mother would be running for that deal.

But there's not really a way to do that. It's a targeted offer.

Message 9 of 42
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I hope you got lots of screenshots of said offer!

No need. They sent it to me in an email. And they can't say I didn't enroll properly. The message says: "Your card has been automatically enrolled for this exclusive online offer."

If anyone wants to check for the email, the subject line is "[Curious_George2], get 1,000 Cash Back for holiday shopping online." 

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.