Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

tag
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

@TryItAgain wrote:

Lol of course I Never expected $1k, but $10 seems like a joke for the spend, even $20 is reasonable.

I'm not truly mad, just a little miffed as it doesn't even equal other cards standard cashback rates.

It's 13.3% cash back, on top of whatever you're already getting for the card. And for most people, it's effectively a free $10, because it's hard not to spend $75 online over the holiday season.

Message 31 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@TryItAgain wrote:

Lol of course I Never expected $1k, but $10 seems like a joke for the spend, even $20 is reasonable.

I'm not truly mad, just a little miffed as it doesn't even equal other cards standard cashback rates.

It's 13.3% cash back, on top of whatever you're already getting for the card. And for most people, it's effectively a free $10, because it's hard not to spend $75 online over the holiday season.

It's also amazingly generous compared to US Bank's other offers (which really are a joke) where you need to spend ~ $10K to get $25 back  

Message 32 of 42
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@TryItAgain wrote:

It's a little over 4%, since it was 3 spends of $75.  It's all good.

(Ch7 Discharged 12/12) AvgScore 807

Personal-
NFCU Platinum 50k | NFCU Flagship 20k | NFCU More Rewards 10k | NFCU NavChek PLOC 15k | PenFed Power Cash 25k | PenFed Gold 15k | PenFed Pathfinder 10k | PenFed OLOC 3K | GTE Financial CU 15k | VyStar CU Cash Back 25k | VyStar CU PLOC 15k | FNBO Evergreen 25k | FNBO 11.85K | BofA Cash Rewards 10.1k | Capital One Venture 13k | Capital One QS 7k | PNC Cash Rewards 15.5k | Citi Costco 8.5k | US Bank Cash+ 10k | Discover 14.8k | Discover 14.1k | Regions Cash 6k | Truist Enjoy Cash 9k | Truist Future 6.5k | Elan Max Cash 7k | Wells Fargo Reflect 20k | Fifth Third 7k | USAA PrefRew 15k | CFNA Tires Plus MC 8k | GM Rewards 3.5k | TD Bank Cash 3.5k | Amex BCP 3K | Lowes Store 30k | Sleep Number Store 13.5k | Home Depot Store 10k | Amazon Store 10k | Care Credit 15k | Walmart Store 6k | JCrew 25k | Jared 18.6k | HSN 4.1K | King Size 4k | Buckle 3.1k

Business-
Amex BBC 25k | Amex BBP 22k | Amex Business Platinum NPSL 30.4kPoT | Citizens Business Everyday 35k | Sams Club Business MC 25K | US Bank Business Plat 24k | Capital One Spark 2% 22k | Marcus GM Business 12.5k | Capital On Tap 2% 10k | Chase Ink 3k | Divvy 7k | PNC BLOC 50K | Citizens BLOC 50K | (Private) BLOC 75K | WEX Business Access Fuel 30k | Sams Bus Store 25k
Message 33 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TryItAgain wrote:

It's a little over 4%, since it was 3 spends of $75.  It's all good.

Well, that was your choice or misunderstanding, the three transactions just had to total $75.    You could have spent $100K and made the offer much less generous!

Message 34 of 42
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

I love this time of year! Credit card companies compete with each other to grab shares of our holiday spend by dangling special offers. It's nice to get 10x points on gas from Chase, $10 back on $50 of retail spend from US Bank, and an extra 2% back on everything from BofA

But Elan outdid them all with this targeted offer I received today on my Max Cash Preferred card, via email:

Elan Offer 1000 for 75.JPG

I know what you're thinking: does that mean 1,000 points? I don't see how it can; the Max Cash Preferred doesn't earn points. It earns cash. I don't see any way to interpret it other than meaning $1,000 cash back.

I quickly executed four online transactions totaling more than $75. Now, I wait to see if they will honor the offer. Anyone want to make a prediction about that?

I haven't read the other comments so someone may have already noted this, but there is no dollar sign ($) in front of the "1000".  Because of that, it is almost definite the 1000 does not stand for $1000.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 35 of 42
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

It could be on anything as long as its online?

Message 36 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

I haven't read the other comments so someone may have already noted this, but there is no dollar sign ($) in front of the "1000".  Because of that, it is almost definite the 1000 does not stand for $1000.

A quick check of the comments would show that you are right, many other people noted that!

Message 37 of 42
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Update: I received the "correction" email someone posted up-thread. Among other things, it says if I have questions I should call a certain phone number. I called, got two front-line reps who didn't know anything about the offer, then got transferred to a supervisor who said, with a degree of hostility that shocked me, there was no way they would honor the original offer, or give anything more than $10. 

I then wrote a letter, asking Elan to honor the offer and complaining about the call center supervisor. I sent it to the address he provided, with a copy to the executive office. 

About three weeks later, I received a phone call from an exceedingly polite gentleman I'll call H. H knew all about the offer and my letter. He had even reviewed the recording of my phone call, and said they provided feedback to the supervisor's manager. 

H said they have received many complaints about this offer, and apologized for the situation. He told me they were not able to give a $1,000 bonus, but they will give me a $75 statement credit and fifty rewards dollars. I told him I think that's a fair compromise, and I thanked him. 

So, in the end, I'm getting $125 back for $75 spend (I spent more, but that's beside the point) plus the cost of two stamps. I'm happy with that.

Message 38 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Update: I received the "correction" email someone posted up-thread. Among other things, it says if I have questions I should call a certain phone number. I called, got two front-line reps who didn't know anything about the offer, then got transferred to a supervisor who said, with a degree of hostility that shocked me, there was no way they would honor the original offer, or give anything more than $10. 

I then wrote a letter, asking Elan to honor the offer and complaining about the call center supervisor. I sent it to the address he provided, with a copy to the executive office. 

About three weeks later, I received a phone call from an exceedingly polite gentleman I'll call H. H knew all about the offer and my letter. He had even reviewed the recording of my phone call, and said they provided feedback to the supervisor's manager. 

H said they have received many complaints about this offer, and apologized for the situation. He told me they were not able to give a $1,000 bonus, but they will give me a $75 statement credit and fifty rewards dollars. I told him I think that's a fair compromise, and I thanked him. 

So, in the end, I'm getting $125 back for $75 spend (I spent more, but that's beside the point) plus the cost of two stamps. I'm happy with that.

Well, I would be with the call center supervisor, and basically accuse you of willful misunderstanding!   But Elan obviously thought it better to give you some money to make it stop....

Message 39 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Well, I would be with the call center supervisor, and basically accuse you of willful misunderstanding!   But Elan obviously thought it better to give you some money to make it stop....

I would add to this likely the recording is what got you the extra $ and how the person spoke to you rather than the bad way the email was sent out.  They certainly didn't have to honor above the $10 and suprised they did.  Anyways we all do what we think is right/wrong and will leave it at that.

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.