Did you mean: 

Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

Get your FICO Score for free

No credit card required

Anonymalous
Established Contributor

Re: Elan offer: Spend $75 online, get 1,000 cash back

@TryItAgain wrote:

Lol of course I Never expected $1k, but $10 seems like a joke for the spend, even $20 is reasonable.

I'm not truly mad, just a little miffed as it doesn't even equal other cards standard cashback rates.

It's 13.3% cash back, on top of whatever you're already getting for the card. And for most people, it's effectively a free $10, because it's hard not to spend $75 online over the holiday season.

Message 31 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@TryItAgain wrote:

Lol of course I Never expected $1k, but $10 seems like a joke for the spend, even $20 is reasonable.

I'm not truly mad, just a little miffed as it doesn't even equal other cards standard cashback rates.

It's 13.3% cash back, on top of whatever you're already getting for the card. And for most people, it's effectively a free $10, because it's hard not to spend $75 online over the holiday season.

It's also amazingly generous compared to US Bank's other offers (which really are a joke) where you need to spend ~ $10K to get $25 back  

Message 32 of 37
TryItAgain
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@TryItAgain wrote:

It's a little over 4%, since it was 3 spends of $75.  It's all good.

Message 33 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TryItAgain wrote:

It's a little over 4%, since it was 3 spends of $75.  It's all good.

Well, that was your choice or misunderstanding, the three transactions just had to total $75.    You could have spent $100K and made the offer much less generous!

Message 34 of 37
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

I love this time of year! Credit card companies compete with each other to grab shares of our holiday spend by dangling special offers. It's nice to get 10x points on gas from Chase, $10 back on $50 of retail spend from US Bank, and an extra 2% back on everything from BofA

But Elan outdid them all with this targeted offer I received today on my Max Cash Preferred card, via email:

Elan Offer 1000 for 75.JPG

I know what you're thinking: does that mean 1,000 points? I don't see how it can; the Max Cash Preferred doesn't earn points. It earns cash. I don't see any way to interpret it other than meaning $1,000 cash back.

I quickly executed four online transactions totaling more than $75. Now, I wait to see if they will honor the offer. Anyone want to make a prediction about that?

I haven't read the other comments so someone may have already noted this, but there is no dollar sign ($) in front of the "1000".  Because of that, it is almost definite the 1000 does not stand for $1000.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
First National Bank of Omaha: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
Wells Fargo: Propel Amex
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: US Bank Cash+ Visa, Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred (S&T Bank Visa version), Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Message 35 of 37
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

It could be on anything as long as its online?

Message 36 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

I haven't read the other comments so someone may have already noted this, but there is no dollar sign ($) in front of the "1000".  Because of that, it is almost definite the 1000 does not stand for $1000.

A quick check of the comments would show that you are right, many other people noted that!

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.