Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

Very interesting! Elan let me PC my plain Visa no rewards to the Visa "Real Rewards" a couple years ago... I wonder if I can PC to the "Max Rewards"?

I may give this a shot. 5% back on utilities will free up my 3X BBVA Clearpoints category for something else crazy.gif

Hat tip to @Aim_High  hi.gif

BTW... If you'd rather have this as a Mastercard...
https://online1.elancard.com/oad/begin?locationCode=26809

Banc of California

https://online1.elancard.com/oad/begin?locationCode=26953

Greater Nevada Credit Union

https://online1.elancard.com/oad/begin?locationCode=27461

First National Bank of Texas

FWIW, the "location code" in the above web address signifies which FI your card will have on the front. If there's a card that says it's geofenced, simply take the location code from that FI and put it into the above web page and you'll get the apply page directly from Elan, who will issue the card nationwide.

Elan used to have Amex co-branded cards also, which seem to have vanished now.

Message 11 of 926
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm not sure but I would think underwriting is going to be pretty similar since it's the same underlying issuer. Your local bank offers the card, via a third party. Since the third party is the same, I would think the underwriting will also be the same, but who knows? 

Just glancing at the one local to me (Fulton Bank) the 5% categories are similar, but not identical, to the US Bank version. (US Bank does not have "recreation" or "entertainment" AFAIK). 

Message 12 of 926
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High  Thank you for posting this! I'm in the midst of gardening until June '21 for a Cash+. I live in the middle of nowhere in rural MI so bank options can be a little more limiting to me sometimes, however TWO different banks from this list have branches less than 10 miles from me! I think your post may help a lot of folks, thank you very much for taking the time to start such a comprehensive list! Smiley Happy I can't wait to start researching these cards. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 13 of 926
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Great post @Aim_High  Found this online in case anyone is looking for it, took me a while to dig it up. These descriptions are almost more accurate than what the Cash+ has published, and the recreation category is pretty broad. It's essentially a sporting good/fitness/gym blend. It's like you said, virtually a cash+ replacement 

I googled "elan financial max cash preferred credit card" and it was the 2nd option down (PDF file)

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.02.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.03.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.03.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.03.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.03.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.03.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.04.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.04.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.04.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.04.38 AM.png

Message 14 of 926
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High 

About two years ago US Bank announced it wanted to sell Elan.  As best I can tell, they sold the debit card and ATM portion of Elan but did not sell the credit card business.  Am I remembering this correctly?  Is US Bank still hoping to sell the rest of Elan?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 926
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Awesome find, @Aim_High! Thank you so much for finding this, researching the details, and posting about it. This could be one of the most helpful threads of the year. Cash+ rewards for the masses, brought to you by your small local FI, Elan, and Aim High!

Message 16 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Aim_High ! Us bank cash + is one of my goals cards for next year and to see credit union of Georgia have something very similar is exciting. 

Message 17 of 926
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Aim_High 

About two years ago US Bank announced it wanted to sell Elan.  As best I can tell, they sold the debit card and ATM portion of Elan but did not sell the credit card business.  Am I remembering this correctly?  Is US Bank still hoping to sell the rest of Elan?

Elan did debit and ATM cards as of late 2019/early 2020.  Dunno if that's still the case.

Message 18 of 926
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Aim_High 

US Bank only wanted to divest the third party ATM and debit processing solutions business, which was sold to Fiserv.  There were no discussions to sell the [ELAN] credit card business. 

Message 19 of 926
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Great job, @Aim_High Fantastically useful post.

My sad story: I recently dropped my oldest continual banking relationship, because they simply never had any products in which I was interested. After reading your post I remembered that their credit cards were always "Elan" cards, so I went to their site, and sure enough they've got this card.

Only I no longer have a banking relationship with them that I can point to Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 20 of 926
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.