Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Valley (National) Visa 5% on 2 Categories

Saw this ad on my email page and I found the 5% category interesting.

Link to Offer 

Valley.JPG

Some interesting 5% Categories.

Not sure if Valley is geofenced, but they are all over the place by me.

Does anyone have DPs on Valley - are they INQ or Account sensitive? What CB do they pull from?

What scores are acceptible?

Also to note:

$150 back on $500 spend.

2% Categories (which for me is useless)

Mentions "The creditor and issuer of these Cards is Elan Financial Services"

Potential Future Cards
Message 21 of 926
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: Valley (National) Visa 5% on 2 Categories

Thanks @Anonymous , I totally missed @Aim_High 's thread - and very impressive post to say the least! Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 22 of 926
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like these are the same as the US Bank Cash+ card that isnt geo fenced.

Message 23 of 926
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

Re: Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

Got denied for this card this morning from Ent. Got too itchy I guess.
Message 24 of 926
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Looks like these are the same as the US Bank Cash+ card that isnt geo fenced.

My mega thread @Anonymous mentioned compares the US Bank Cash+ with these cards, @gdale6.  Elan, a sister subsidiary of US Bancorp, just started releasing this version of the Cash+ that they are calling the "Max Cash Preferred" at their partner banks.  Data points I looked up show that Elan is a little less sensitive to new accounts than US Bank which is a big benefit to many on My Fico who don't want to garden for US Bank's conservative 1/12 limit.  While the Cash+ card isn't geofenced, apparently these cards aren't either since they are issued by Elan.  I even called an out-of-state lender whose card I was interested in and they said they could issue, even though I was out of their banking footprint.  I'm also out of US Bank's banking footprint, and they refused to open a checking account for me.  So the nice thing with the partner cards is if I want to bank with someone locally that also issues an equivalent Cash+ variant, I can do that now.   I have more than one lender in my area that issues this card.   I put a list of over 75 banks on the thread just to get the ball rolling, and I know there are many more that I missed.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 25 of 926
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@ToxikPH wrote:

Sorry to hear about your denial Smiley Sad

Any DPs to share? 

Potential Future Cards
Message 26 of 926
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

Saw this ad on my email page and I found the 5% category interesting.

Link to Offer 

Valley.JPG

Some interesting 5% Categories.

Not sure if Valley is geofenced, but they are all over the place by me.

Does anyone have DPs on Valley - are they INQ or Account sensitive? What CB do they pull from?

What scores are acceptible?

Also to note:

$150 back on $500 spend.

2% Categories (which for me is useless)

Mentions "The creditor and issuer of these Cards is Elan Financial Services"

My Elan card started as Florida Community Bank and I'm in California. Elan makes the decision no matter what bank or CU you choose to apply through. Just pick which card design you like best and if you want Visa or Mastercard.

Message 27 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's cool that there are all of these options but I have never seen any evidence that Elan is much looser than US Bank. 

Message 28 of 926
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ToxikPH wrote:

Well at least a DP for the community 😁.   If you had a slew of inquiries or accounts in the past 12+ months it was likely not going to be a slam dunk, unfortunately.  

While DPs may be all over the place, they're still somewhat conservative, especially if they've tightened up their reins to align to USB UW policies, even if they have a partnership agreement with said institution.  I have 4 ELAN products (including Fidelity acquisition from FIA) and although they seemed more flexible to obtain (prior to USB tightening up), they certainly weren't that flexible.  As with anything, it's all based on the overall profile.

Message 29 of 926
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's cool that there are all of these options but I have never seen any evidence that Elan is much looser than US Bank. 

FWIW, I picked up Elan during by first and only app spree. They hit my thin EX with a HP when my scores were in the low 700's and the app went pending. Didn't hear anything for about 2 weeks and all of a sudden the card showed up with a $5000 SL. It was the highest SL out of all the cards I picked up then.

Message 30 of 926
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.