Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Elan "Max Cash" -vs- US Bank Cash+

@ToxikPH wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:
Got denied for this card this morning from Ent. Got too itchy I guess.

Sorry to hear about your denial Smiley Sad

Any DPs to share? 

Looks like they pulled experian; 7 inq before this app. 8/12 and 2/6 on new accounts. 2% usage.

Sorry to hear of the denial @ToxikPH!  But I really appreciate your sharing the data points.  This will be key to trying to determine how much - if any - less conservative Elan is compared to US Bank.    My previous post makes me suspect that while US Bank has been okay with only 1 or no more than 2 new accounts in 12 months, Elan may let you have three or four.  But that also may depend on overall profile and it could also vary depending on the sponsoring lender's criteria.  We don't know what agreement Elan has with each FI, but they each could have independent limiting FICO scores for approval, different limits on recently-opened accounts, and other variations.

I would guess that 8/12 is and 2/6 is way over their limit, probably more due to the 8/12 than the 2/6.  I'm interested in seeing approvals or denials close to the 3-6/12 range and the 1-2/6 range.  There was a remark from a CSR in my earlier post that indicated new accounts in past six months could have significant weight. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 51 of 926
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I'm gonna need about 8 or 10 of you with various profiles to go ahead and apply so I'll have some DPs. No hurry - I won't be applying for anything until after 12-28 - so take your time! 😉😂

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 52 of 926
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Since there's no redemption threshold on the Cash+ there is really no reason to let the rewards expire anyway. I get wanting to save them up, but, in the end, you are getting the same amount of rewards regardless. May as well just redeem monthly. It's unlikely most are redeeming enough that it's even a blip in your monthly budget. Redeem your $10 statement credit, and put $10 in your savings account, or however you choose -- but no reason to let it expire.

I agree with this above.  I never understood holding off on redeeming rewards and just letting them pile up.  I mean, they're already yours.  Not taking them right away is effectively giving your lender an interest free loan. 

Message 53 of 926
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Knocked it out of the park with this post @Aim_High! This is super helpful info, as I was already eyeing Meriwest CU in CA. The last time I checked, Elan was servicing their lineup that had a common dining card model, 4x on dining, but with a $95 AF. Once the GO came out, I guess they had to change it up. Had no idea they replaced it with this model. I'd love to get both USB and Meriwest versions...but ughhh I'm gardening for Nusenda. 0/12 purgatory until May

Message 54 of 926
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly: Provident CU uses Elan, right? Can you PC your Provident card to Max Cash?

Message 55 of 926
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly: Provident CU uses Elan, right? Can you PC your Provident card to Max Cash?

@Curious_George2 You had my hopes up for a moment, but unfortunately Provident is still their same stubborn selves with the same mediocre product lineup. If they had Elan run their card division that would be an upgrade. The same ole 1.5% cashback card stays in the SD and their travel card is lame, so no PC options Smiley Sad

Message 56 of 926
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I apologize. Provident State Bank is an Elan user (location # 27178). I got it confused with Provident Credit Union. I should have been more careful. Sorry for the unintended fake-out!

Message 57 of 926
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@Curious_George2 You had my hopes up for a moment, but unfortunately Provident is still their same stubborn selves with the same mediocre product lineup. If they had Elan run their card division that would be an upgrade. The same ole 1.5% cashback card stays in the SD and their travel card is lame, so no PC options Smiley Sad

Another factor is the cards offered by the agent that a particular lender chooses to put in their lineup.   Although they are often the same, I have seen some variations.  I noticed a few Elan providers in my search that still had the "old" Elan lineup prior to Max Cash Preferred.  That lineup included the $95 AF AMEX co-branded card with the 4-3-2-1 rewards structure.  It appears on the Elan lineups I've seen WITH the Max Cash, those lenders have phased out the AMEX 4-3-2-1 card.   Just my casual observation from researching the topic.  Maybe in time, all Elan providers will offer identical cards again.  

Business Cards

Message 58 of 926
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Another factor is the cards offered by the agent that a particular lender chooses to put in their lineup.   Although they are often the same, I have seen some variations.  I noticed a few Elan providers in my search that still had the "old" Elan lineup prior to Max Cash Preferred.  That lineup included the $95 AF AMEX co-branded card with the 4-3-2-1 rewards structure.  It appears on the Elan lineups I've seen WITH the Max Cash, those lenders have phased out the AMEX 4-3-2-1 card.   Just my casual observation from researching the topic.  Maybe in time, all Elan providers will offer identical cards again.  

I would love to try for one of these Elan cards that are in Georgia since we have a couple of banks that offer them except there isn't much data on Renasant Bank, Capital City Bank, or Credit Union of Georgia

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 59 of 926
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

I would love to try for one of these Elan cards that are in Georgia since we have a couple of banks that offer them except there isn't much data on Renasant Bank, Capital City Bank, or Credit Union of Georgia

Unfortunately, since these are all smaller and mostly regional financial institutions, it's unlikely we'll have specific data points on very many of them, even if a lot of the community begins applying.  What data points were you looking for in particular, @1GaDawg85?  Do you have a banking relationship with any of these yet?  If you're concerned you're on the bubble for approvals, that will sometimes help.   If you're not gardening, you have low new accounts and low inquiries, you could be a data point for the community.  Once we have a few members start to apply, we may be able to estimate how Elan will process the Max Cash Preferred applications as a whole from the different lenders.

*I'm not applying right now, even though I found this new card and wanted to tell everyone on My Fico.  I am at 3/6, 4/12, and 12/24 for new accounts and waiting for some to age off.  I think I'd be over their limit.

Business Cards

Message 60 of 926
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.